The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By la_jolla1
  • 1 Post By la_jolla1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Picric & Sunburst for steelhead

Tied on an Alec Jackson Daichii #5
Thread: Veevus olive
Tag: Silver wire
Tail: Amherst green
Body: Olive seal
Rib: silver oval tinsel
Wing: Picric Bronze mallard
Hackles: Whiting grizzly dyed insect green
Guinea fowl body feather flo green
Eyes: JC dyed sunburst

Thanks for looking

Hugh
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picric & Sunburst for steelhead

Hugh: Very nice streamer!
I've never tried the Veevus thread, what are your thoughts on it?

Larry

Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

This is the 16/0, very strong and very slick, so I use a little soft beeswax to get best control. But no thread build-up hence the easy tie-in and the small head. Really brilliant thread.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Coming along Hugh,

I really should try to break into the 21'st century with my tying. I tie everything with either 6/0 or 8/0 threads that I got from my old Orvis shop at Slate Run back in the early 90's. Back then I tied with heavy thread mono cords and 6/0 - 8/0 seemed really thin. When you see me post something with a translucent head, that means I finished with silk threads. My silks are so old they don't have a size on the spool, they just say 'silk'.

Sometimes I end up with a pretty big tie off at the heads but I've gotten used to it. I use very few turns when I tie streamers but they are tight and I glue each step with lacquer as I go. I may look for some of these tiny threads.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Nice looking fly pattern there Hugh, that would be a great pattern over here early season
Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
Nice looking fly pattern there Hugh, that would be a great pattern over here early season
Thanks - as you can seen I am enjoying the dyed bronze mallard and the sunburst JC - your materials make it fun!