The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By cariboo87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 AM
cariboo87

Default Poor mans tube fly

Here is is how I was first shown how to tie a tube fly, Im digging up some sbs's and such to post for everyone

I was shown this fly a long long time ago by a doctor I used to fish with. Even though he had the money to buy anything he wanted he still felt that if you could save a few bucks, and get the same quality then why not right? So thats where I got this from, I have used it for trout, salmon, steelhead, you can tie anything on a tube, I tie muddler minnows on the tube all the time and they work great! You can put coneheads on tubes, beads, pretty much anything you would put on a normal hook.

So here you go.
and ps. yes I know the plastic can crack in the winter but it sure beats loosing expensive brass or copper tubes if you cant afford them all the time.
Click the image to open in full size.

Step 1- Take a razor blade or scissors and cut a 1/2" chunk of q-tip off

Step 2- You want to make a small lip on the end of one side of your tube. Take the chunk of tube you just cut and use a lighter and slowly roll the tube between your fingers while holding it close enough to the flame that it melts the tip just enough to make the lip you want. You roll it between your fingers so it makes the lip even.

Step 3- Put the needle in your vice like you would a hook, I cut the tip of the needle so it does not poke me and so you do not have a long piece sticking out while tying the fly

Step 4- Slide the tube on and make sure you slide it far enough back so it does not spin while tying the fly

Step 5- Start right behind the lip and wrap your thread back a little bit.

Step 6- Pick out a piece of black and a piece of purple marabou and strip the first few fibers off the bottom of the feather. You will be palmering these forward so make sure the feathers you pick have long flowing fibers

Step 7- Tie in your marabou at the tip you stripped

Step 8- Palmer your black marabou forward and tie off

Step 9- Tie in 4 pieces of pearl crystal flash on each side of the fly

Step 10- Tie in your purple marabou at the tip as you will be palmering it forward like you did with the black marabou

Step 11- Palmer your purple marabou forward and tie off

Step 12- Whip finish

Step 13- Apply a drop of head cement

Step 14- It a personal choice weather you like to do this or not but I take a piece of surgical tubing and super glue it onto the tube. You can then slide the eye of your hook into the tubing and it will hold it there.What this does is it prevents the fly from sliding away from the hook while fishing it.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poor mans tube fly

I've been tying tube flies on those for a long time. They come in a lot of colors also. I have blue, purple, pink, mint green and white just off the top of my head. By the way don't anyone run out and buy a bunch of these, I got the big boxes of them and have about a 12 lifetime supply. I'd be happy to share. Here's another cool tube fly I did on those;
Ear plug poppers.

By the way, if you know someone that uses oxygen, the tube for the oxygen tanks fit these tube perfect. Ask them to save their old ones for you.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM
cariboo87

The guy who first showed me this fly stored his in straws, nice and compact
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That's a real cool way to make them ! Ive been using WAWA coffee stirrers and they work well also. Great ear plug tubes Dan ! I was putting the plugs on the hook I like that better! That's another item that comes in a bunch of cool color combos.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool SBS, thanks for putting that together. One other thing to think about for a tube material are those plastic extensions that come in aerosol spray cans--such as for compressed air. They're smaller in diameter but fairly rigid.

Disclaimer--I have not tried a tube on one yet
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

thanks very much for making the tutorial up...I like still shots a lot better than you tubes...the pics give you a point of completing stages...which helps me a lot...I want to try the method you show and integrate it into some larger articulating streamers...

Charlie Craven in the Denver area also does his tutorials that way for years too...which is a good way to learn a pattern...

Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials

I can imagine a lot of spin offs from that technique...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM

flytyingcompany is on a distinguished road

once upon a time in the UK, you could get hold of tubular separators which were designed for spacing wall tiles correctly. They were absolutely perfect for making small tubes... the ear bug technique is a great alternative which i have used a few times myself!