The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caitlin's Comet

Caitlin's Comet
Caitlin's Comet Click the image to open in full size.
Hook Gaelic Supreme, Mike Martinek's sz.1 6XL Streamer Hook
Thread Black
Tag Flat Silver Tinsel
Rib Fine Oval Silver Tinsel
Body Royal Purple Silk Floss
Belly Red Calf Tail and a Golden Pheasant Crest
Underwing A small bunch of Lavender and Red Bucktail
Inner Wing Pale Purple Hackle, then Hot Magenta and medium Blue Hackle 2/3 as long as the others.
Note Build the wings as a seperate unit with the last eye spot of the Jungle Cock showing clear beyond the hackle.
Shoulder Mallard dyed Red
Throat White Schlappen
Cheeks Jungle Cock
Crest Burnt Orange Golden Pheasant Crest over the wing
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caitlin's Comet

Dan: Beautiful work, congrats! The work you put in dying all those materials is amazing.

Larry

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful work Dan, and amazed by the brilliance of the dyed feathers. Thought they were natural until Larry said different.

Dave
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Really nice work.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Wicked!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Big effort, great result - very well done!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Beautiful work Dan, and amazed by the brilliance of the dyed feathers. Thought they were natural until Larry said different.

Dave
I dyed more stuff in this fly than I didn't. I was out of regular old Mallard so I used the lightest Wood Duck I had. It took two tries to get it to match the photo I used. The Crest took two tries as well. The yellow in it effects the end color more than most feathers I have dyed. It took three tries to get a good purpe. Don't use grape KoolAid for purple. It's not a good purple, has to much blue in it. The Bucktail was first try, and it was in the grape KoolAid. 120 seconds with the Bucktail came out the perfect lavendar. The Calf Tail was also a first try with the mix but took two runs through the microwave to get the right color. The Blue hackle was a first try also. Amazingly so was the Magenta. I used wikipedia to get the color definition of Magenta and it gave a base color breakdown. I used Pink Lemonaid with a bit of Ice Blue Raspberry and it came out pretty darned close. I had the red Bucktail. I had a Blue hackle that was a pretty good color match but I have used most of the good feathers out of it and really need to buy more and use these up on something that doesn't require nice ones.

The cool thing about using the KoolAid to dye all of this is that it cost me less than $2.00 to dye it and I dyed a bunch of stuff with it. I also learned a new one speaking of that. Swan Shoulder does not take dye as fast as white hackle does. It takes it about as fast as bucktail does. It was a surprise to me. The calf tail even took it faster than the Swan shoulder did.

This was a fun project. As I said, this is going to be for my niece Caitlin. (She actually spells it Kaitlyn and when she gets it, the label will be Kaitlyn's Comet.) She does so much for other people all the time I just thought it would be nice to do something for her. She has raised just a ton of money for charities. She repelled off the tallest building in Monatana to raise money for special olympics.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Caitlin's Comet

Beautiful fly with a very worth name Dan!