The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough
Default the "Yard Bird"

I posted this on another forum I am on...and thought it might be of interest to folks here......here is an articulating streamer pattern I made up...it uses among other items...feathers from a "guinea hen"...my buds yard bird...so what better to call it...the other materials are all from either harvests or our ranch...the trailer hook is loose enough to allow some sideways movement...I use spectra to tie it ont the front...mono would work OK too...

large articulating streamers have been real successful for me with bigger browns and other species...knowing the bait fish in your area help...browns and grays are many times overlooked ...but that is the real color of the minnows thay are eating...sculpin and dace etc...

also something I learned guiding in C&R waters that had a lot of competition, is that some patterns get used so much...because they are the "hot item", that they get to be left alone after a week or so...new patterns can be the real trick for weary big trout...guides would keep their new secret patterns to themselves for this reason...if your clients dont catch fish...you dont get many bookings...

a little flash might work good to on some real sunny days in shallower steams...I tied a few like that too for trials...

my main point is that you dont have to always follow the crowd in patterns...

I used som buff tail on this one to try and keep it a bit thicker...the turkey fan sprigs all lay down pretty flat in the water and even "pulse " a bit...

my next project is finish the test tank I am working on...so every new pattern gets tested to see what it looks like "real time"...the tests I have seen so far have been revolutionizing for me...some patterns look very different in the tank, than they do on the vise all combed up pretty...

Click the image to open in full size.

here it is on my 11ft 7wt. bamboo switch...w/ scandi and 15" head...

Elk (Wapiti) mane...fly tail
Buffalo(Bison) tail...fly tail...
Gadwall Duck...cheeks...
Guinea Hen(yard bird...LOL)...cover cheeks...
Merriams wild Turkey various fan feathers...sprigs...
1/0 stainless barbed hooks
spectra synthetic wire( for attaching trailer to shank)
brown flat thread
super glue (general adhesive)
5 minute epoxy( for the head)

I keep the front hook intact while I am tying the pattern...then clip it when I'm done...

I use spectra for the attachment ...but mono would be OK too...

its important to allow some side ways movement...so the streamer can move a bit...I tie off some of the tail section to the trailer to give it some flexing movement...especially when you twitch nthe rod tip on a retrieve...

here it is off the vise and ready to have the front hook clipped...

here are some more "homegrown" ties...the ones at both ends are the one in this thread...

this is a big bug...and swings nice on the bamboo...it does make a little buzz when it flies by...LOL...

here is a SBS done on another forum...

articulating rig part 2...the yard bird
madjoni likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 01-24-2013 at 07:40 AM.