The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough
Default silvertip spey

here is a fly pattern a friend of mine in Ireland just came up with using some "homegrown" materials I swapped with him...he is very talented obviously...I just wanted to show you folks what can be done with some stuff from the ranch and field on the vise of a pro...he really blessed me with the name he gave it...

last year I joined the forum he is on in Ir. , and have been meeting new folks there...sort of a connection for me since my family comes from a spot pretty famous for angling and tying too...County Cork...

this pattern is a mix of materials from my ranch and harvests...and the same from over there...he emailed me a few days ago and told about the pheasant on his porch he had waiting to be skinned for the cape...and this is what came out of this union...and what he did with the stuff we swapped and his own...I think the peacock and tinsel are the exception...but all in all a very special tie ...

this is from Kenny...in County Kilkenny...he came up with and tied this pattern for his yearly spring trip to the "Dee River" for Atlantic Salmon...also to show me something done with some of my materials I collect.I know you will like it...ted

Click the image to open in full size.

Merriams wild Turkey fan for wing...
from a South Dakota harvest
white,amber and dark brown buffalo wool for body dubbing...
from my buffalo ranch in Colorado
blue eared pheasant & blue peacock breast for the hackles...
golden pheasant rump for the tail...
from some harvests in Ireland
fredaevans and wt bash like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 02-02-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: silvertip spey

Very cool pattern. I've always like turkey slips over bronze mallard for wings, not only does it look better to me but I think the turkey helps keep the fly riding better on the swing.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

its a Kenny thing WT...yes I was also pretty put back...this isnt only a pretty tie...I know it will catch some fish!

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed

my blog & website
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's the coolest 'lash up' I've seen/read in years. Good On You! Picture this: you're sitting in a Pub (fishing hut/what-ever) and do a 'Gentlemen, let me show you a fly I just tied ......'
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Fred...I was actually born in Oregon...and would love to look at your patterns any evening at your local pub...except I thinks right now its a bit too far to walk home...and that is the safe way...if you know what Im mean...t

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website