The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default The Red Gallania (wet\mini-streamer)

Hook- 8
Tail- Red soft downy fibers from base of feather
Body- Steel foil silver
Wing- Gallania (gunnie fowl)
Throat- Red soft downy fibers from base of feather
Head- Black

Click the image to open in full size.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Red Gallania (wet\mini-streamer)

Chris: Very nice looking wet! I really like the variegation on the wing material.

Larry
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Chris, your flies are always among the best. Like Larry said good looking materials. I've never even seen them offered here.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Nice tie! I've never known Guinea Fowl as "Gallania". It's a great feather to work with and easy to source in the US; about $20 for a complete skin. Nice use of the marabou-like feathers at the base of the quill.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 07-26-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks Guys

Allan, I have come across it called this for some of the older patterns I have tyed and had too look it up in the dictonary for fishermen too find what was ment.
When I tyed it I was trying my new vice out and wanted a fly that will have plenty of movement when I swing it across the river, or strip it in, Guinea Fowl is a bit harder too get over here (esp a skin) but it is a material that I like working with

The steel foil is not very nice too use compared with tinsel

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Yes, steel foil is crummy to work with, compared to tinsel.

You have to keep your winds on exactly the same angle (pitch) or you will get buckling of the foil. It's particularly tough at the tail. That's why a lot of people in the days of old used to tie in the foil at the tail; foil cut on a slant. that way, you're on the right pitch with your first wind. You also need an absoultely smooth underbody.

I'd move away from the purity of the old tie (steel foil) and come back to the practicality of the modern mylar tinsel.

Pocono