Tail- Red soft downy fibers from base of feather
Body- Steel foil silver
Wing- Gallania (gunnie fowl)
Throat- Red soft downy fibers from base of feather
Head- Black

Chris

Jimmie

Reaction score
Chris, your flies are always among the best. Like Larry said good looking materials. I've never even seen them offered here.

Pocono

Reaction score
Chris,

Nice tie! I've never known Guinea Fowl as "Gallania". It's a great feather to work with and easy to source in the US; about $20 for a complete skin. Nice use of the marabou-like feathers at the base of the quill.

Pocono

Last edited:

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Thanks Guys

Allan, I have come across it called this for some of the older patterns I have tyed and had too look it up in the dictonary for fishermen too find what was ment.
When I tyed it I was trying my new vice out and wanted a fly that will have plenty of movement when I swing it across the river, or strip it in:), Guinea Fowl is a bit harder too get over here (esp a skin) but it is a material that I like working with:)

The steel foil is not very nice too use compared with tinsel;)

Chris

Pocono

Reaction score
Chris,

Yes, steel foil is crummy to work with, compared to tinsel.

You have to keep your winds on exactly the same angle (pitch) or you will get buckling of the foil. It's particularly tough at the tail. That's why a lot of people in the days of old used to tie in the foil at the tail; foil cut on a slant. that way, you're on the right pitch with your first wind. You also need an absoultely smooth underbody.

I'd move away from the purity of the old tie (steel foil) and come back to the practicality of the modern mylar tinsel.

Pocono