The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default rocky mountain hairwing

tried copying a pattern I saw on a blog from Scotland....they called it a shrimp, or cascade...it looks like a steelhead job to me...I made it on a double from AO Feathers...used some buffalo mop for the body dubbing(fur on their forehead)...elk and moose mane for the tail, with a little rooster hackle tip too...Mule Deer fur for the hair wing and a small rooster hackle in front...

I really like the way moose mane curls ...it seems to do it more when you tie off tight. The Buff is gnarly...gives aa special appearance...the gray Mulie...is a bit different than the typical white tail fur used in hair wings...the toips and color in general I favor...

I am going to try this with a few different colors too...blue and red...for sunny days...but today its pretty dreary outside, this tie matches the weather today perfect...

Click the image to open in full size.

AO Feathers house brand No.1 double
black buffalo fur for dubbing
.015 silver wire for spiral wrap
brown rooster hackle, Elk ans Moose mane for the tail
Mule Deer for for the hairwing
brown rooster hackle
madjoni, wt bash, kayo and 1 others like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rocky mountain hairwing

Ted: Awesome looking pattern......does look like a good steelhead pattern.

Larry
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Dig it man! I've always liked cascades on doubles!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default new colors

here are a few more attempts...left the hackle off these...dont miss it...

fished these today...the red did OK...then it started snowing again...fingers cold to my elbows...need some warmer weather to really try them out...I have high hopes for the blue and yellow too...I think you will like these Bill...

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed

my blog & website
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

silvertip8k, did you create your own hook eye in those 1st pictures & how does that hold up when playin a decent sized fish????
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 PM

hello roo...it is a braided loop made from dacron...it is whipp finished on the shank...it is a traditional way done long ago by anglers from 1700-1900...in those times in Ireland and Scotland there was some concerns about the strength of the steel hooks...and they fashioned their loops from "gut"... double hooks were exactly that I understand...and the lashing held them together too...

I just like to do it old school sometimes on the salmon and steelhead ties...

its plenty strong...and has some flexibility qualities that are pretty interseting as well...the loop goes back on the hook almost to the curve, double on both sides...its just lashed or whipped with tying floss and tied off...

you can see it pretty good in this picture...

I am by no means an expert in the style of tying classics...just a student...but the history of angling is really pretty cool...t

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

Very interesting Thanx where do you get dacron?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 AM

I got this from a friend...any braided line would be fine...dental floss works too...maybe doubled, depending on which one you have...fly line backing would work too...say the 30# kind...for pics I show the white because I wanted to show the material...but fishing it I have used a "sharpie" in brown or black...t

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website