The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough
Default "Pocket Water" Sedge...revised with new pics...

OK...no more steelhead patterns for a while...thats sort of my newest passion...and after trying to tie some of the classics...well I best return to home waters...

first off...I was truly amazed when I came east for a temp job, and went into a fly shop in Harrisonburg, Va...and asked about flies etc...as any good fly shop guy should do...he asked to see my fly box...which is exactly what I used to do in Colorado in the shop I worked at...

it turned out that I was in good shape...maybe a few less golden stones...but pretty much all my "go tos" were the same here too...PTL>>>

here is one of my favorite caddis bugs...its a little bigger than some of the Elk hairs I tie...but so is a mature sedge...once you have seen one...you will never forget it...

this one has real good buyoncy...and looks good too on the water...it makes contact in a few points like a good dry should...but best of all it shows a perfect outline of the caddis...and pretty close to the surface so its very visible even to a deep water critter...

I do treat mine with the dry powder...and when I tie them I also wax them good too...

my best story about this one is getting hung up in a small willow where the caddis bugs were hatching...a spot called "deckers" near my old home in Colorado...and having a big rainbow grab it...I dont know if technically I caught the fish...or the willow...LOL...it was a mess getting him untied and back swimming!

here it is...t

"Pocket Water Sedge"
size 12-16 caddis or scud hook...bronze is my preference
buffalo wool nedium brown or similar for dubbing...
ginger or cinnamon hackle for spiral wrap...
(2) brown, gray, or natural mallard feathers for body/wing
Mule Deer, Elk or Pronghorn fur for hair wing
(this one is dark Mulie buck)

if you are really into it...two wild turkey fan barbs or moose mane quills for the two antennae...I used to do it...but afer one-three pitches they are usually gone...but sometimes w/o the fur wing it is good...I make up a foam core version too...its below...

Click the image to open in full size.

here is the foam cored version...no dubbing on this one...just a 1/8" strip if gray foam about 3/8" long...this one even has some antennae...two quills of moose mane...its not as durable...but for a super weary fish in stil water...it is a good idea...

one of my fly fishing buddies thinks I should rename it the "Clear Creek Slayer"...because it is...
here are some more pics on my site too.

here are some more pics...

the are more pics on my site..

tales of a wandering monk
Pocono, mcnerney, madjoni and 1 others like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Pocket Water" Sedge...(adult caddis)

That's a nice pattern/tie.

I like the body/wing feathers in combination with the hair wing. Looks like it would be a killer on the stream at the right time of year (most of the year for caddis).

I fish a lot of pocket water and my go-to top water fly is a light bodied/hackled Tan Elk Hair Tan Caddis; #18

Pocono
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Pocket Water" Sedge...(adult caddis)

Great looking pattern, I bet that is a real fish magnet!