The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By silvertip8k
  • 1 Post By kayo
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By wt bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default "Pocket Water" Sedge ...and some more caddis ties...

here are a few more pics I took of this pattern...also some similar ones I tie for caddis hatches...these pics show a little more detail...

Click the image to open in full size.

the "Pocket Water" Sedge...mallard flanks with Mule Deer fur wing...it has a buffalo wool dubbing w/ a rooster hackle spiral wrapped over the dubbed body...this pattern is a favorite for fishing its name sake...it can handle the rougher and faster stretches well that lead in to the side pockets where fish like to hang out...

this is a typical Elk Hair style...but uses Mule Deer fur to imitate the darker sedge or caddis...typical in certain parts of Colorado...some of my friends like to tie this with a black hackle over the dubbing...and some just use a foam core with the hackle over that...for water that is moving faster with more suds...

the same pattern as above, but with Pronghorn or Elk...also a rooster hackle tied over the buff dubbed body...I have fished this a lot on the South Platte...

the "Amber Caddis"...the pattern that really attempts to imitate this bug...but not as durable as the others...it is my "go to" for really weary fish in super still water...it is similar to the pocketwater version...except there is no dubbing...only a piece of sealed foam...tied onto the shank, about an 1' X 1'8" x 3/8/1/2 depending on the hook size...good idea to test it out after tying one to make sure it floats like you want...all that really matters is that the foam stays concealed...the foam gets an rooster hackle spun around it...the foam is a good source for float...and is invisible the way the wings are tied on...the two antennae are moose mane quills...

this could be easily reproduced in a lighter or darker version just using a differnt dyed color mallard flank or similar...a larger hungarian partridge feather would be a perfect choice...as would a pheasant etc...lots of possibilities...

its a really easy "bug" to tie too...t
wt bash, la_jolla1, kayo and 2 others like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-05-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: "Pocket Water" Sedge ...and some more caddis ties...

Gotta love the Caddis.
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ted: Very nice looking Caddis patterns!
silvertip8k likes this.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

Larry...what colors are used up in Pinedale and surrounding area??t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I can see all of those just getting crushed after skittering across a flat tailout or a calm pool, awesome ties man!
silvertip8k likes this.