The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k
  • 1 Post By wt bash
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Clear Creek Slayer

A few years ago on the fourth of July weekend I was up near Mt. Evans ( a fourteen'er in Colorado),fly fishing with a friend at about 10 or 11,000 feet… we lived at around 8,000 then…and the weather was a pretty nice Colorado summer day…when we finished hiking to the stream we were wanting to fish , the weather took a turn for the worse…spitting snow, and pretty cold…I was on the streamside near a beaver dam that formed a pond. I was trying to adjust my choice of pattern I was fishing, and thinking the grill at home looked pretty good when a huge Adult Caddis landed about 3 feet from me…I got a chance to study it for a while before it took off…I started fishing some dark caddis bugs in about a size 12, the biggest thing I had…and it was like a switch turned on…match the hatch…Qed…

Click the image to open in full size.

The pattern tied above is as close as I can come to try and imitate what I saw…its on a size 10-12 nymph hook for extra length, I used some gadwall back feathers for the sides/body, and some Mule deer fur for the hair wing…two moose mane quills for the antennae…and a short rooster hackle for some legs…the body is dubbed with some buffalo wool in dark brown…more visible from underneath. This bug has been a real “go to” in still water situations…or when the trout are really picky…its similar to some of the other sedges I tie up…but just for the darker variety…one friend thought I should name it the “Clear Creek Slayer”…

Click the image to open in full size.
rubberguy likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Clear Creek Slayer

Damn man that looks like it'll fly away!!! Wicked!
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great, rather realistic! How do the antenna hold up to fishing?
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

not all that well...but they are fun to put on...and the presentation, at least until a strike or hangup, is pretty good...they usually bend first...

I will say I have caught two fish with one fly and they were still intactt...but thats not the norm...

a few I brought home a retied on another pair...I think its worth it...

this year I want to try using one in a "hopper dropper" rig with maybe a small baetis or similar dropper...

I put some legs on one and it looked a lot like a grashopper too...

turkey barbs from a fan are something new I am trying out...sometimes lastsing a few more casts might be worth it...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

That's my experience using hair or feathers for antenna. They look much better than micro fibbets (at least to me, fish probably don't care), but only the synthetic holds up.
silvertip8k likes this.