The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough
Default super simple march brown...dry...

after seeing a really cool pic that another angler took of a March Brown recently hatched perched on the winding check of his fly rod, I could see some details I never caught before...the colors of the wing and body...plus the posture...in particular the arched back...

I know this is something that has been around for a long time...but it was a new look for me at a bug I have tied a lot...
and its a perfect time to have some of these...St. Patty's is always a time these start to do their thing where I fish...

plus making a bug that is simple and fast is important too...these flies get treated pretty rough , and spending 20 minutes on one of the fancier deer fur bugs is cool...but to have one you can "crank out" is good too...because its gonna only get used once more than likely...

plus found some use for some bufflehead feathers a friend gave to me...they were a perfect match for the bug I saw in that pic...as were some turkey fan barbs for the tail and body section...
and I just used a generic rooster hackle for the float and wings...

I took this out and pitched for a while to see how it landed...then took a few pics in a side pool for some to post...and get a better look at what it looks like up close...digital cameras can really help me alot to see what I am geting out of my vise...

I tied this with a #16 nymph hook I tried some on standard dry fly hooks too, but they didnyt get the tail down enough for the effect I was looking for...the longer bent hook did the trick...here are afew pics..t

after looking at the pics on the compiuter, I think it could use a few small barbs or something for some nose gear..(antennae)

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

size 12-16 nymph hook...bronze is preferable
turkey fan barbs for tail
brown buffalo wool for dubbing
(1) pair of gray bufflehead feathers for wings
ginger or brown rooster hackle ...
I used some flat nylon brown thread...it tightens down a bit better...and the paired wings need all the help they can get...
jpbfly likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 03-15-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: super simple march brown...

Interesting idea, Ted. Is the turkey feather the body, in an extended body idea? I looks to have potential, but how did it cast and land? The over-sized wing usually gives me fits trying to cast it, they tend to act like a rudder in the air and spiral the fly and leader and then land on it's side. But I sure like the profile.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: super simple march brown...

casting isnt like a smaller hackle fly for example...but with one good false cast it does ok out about 12-15 yards...throwing straight out letting the line drift down about 3-4 feet before it lands...

I tied 5 up and cast them for about an hour...two were shot by then...but I only used three...it landed upside right about 70% of the time...but when I looked at it on its side it was OK too...maybe even better...

not as good as a hairwing as far as durability...but for a closer in...or more still conditions , I think it will be OK...just need a brown hatch...

I do think I will bundle the tail out a bit on the next batch to give more body "behind the tail of the hook look"...like a hairwing...

I always have hated the feather wings too...since they can be knuckle balls sometimes...the bufflehead feathers were so perfect though...most feathers that size have a much bigger center quill or whatever you call it... its saving grace is that it's very light for its size...and if the wings are tied on well it should be OK...the two that broke up were due to some snags more than just pitching...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/