The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about
Default Gold Ribbed Hares Ear

Image Posting Size Limits

Members shall not LINK to, or insert, any images INSIDE their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.

Members may ATTACH images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

There is a difference between attaching an image and linking to an image inside the body of the post.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If I have deleted any of your images... I'm sorry. However, for the optimal performance and overall look of the forum we must adhere to this policy.

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation.

<br>
Here is a superb all around searching pattern that I tie can be tyed from size 8 - 16 weighted or unweighted its the versital gold ribbed hares ear fish it under an indicater or without across and down or high stick it or fish it unweighted and dry brings the trout up as well.

Materials for pictured nymph;

1. TMC 3761 size 8
2. 3/0 black thread
3. lead or nontoxic wire
for weighted version
4. tail pheasant tail fibers
tied long to create wing case
5. Ribbing gold medium flat tinsle
6. abdomen tan hares mask fur
7. legs partridge breast feather
8. thorax gray rabbit fur dubbing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold ribbed haresear_1.jpg (97.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Ribbed Hares Ear

Very Nice! I like the idea of the Pheasant Tail for a tail. I have been using the guard hares from the rabbit skin I use.

Now what have you got in a Prince Nymph? They are my two favorite flies.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hi Joni,
Thank you for your complements the pheasant tail works good you just leave it long to tie your wing case kinda killing 2 birds with one stone I tie it in a parachute style as well will get some pics. up later.
The Prince nymph is a great pattern works great in my area as well I have a few here I will take some pictures and get them on .

Tight Lines,
Allen
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Allen,

Very nice tye. I really like the treatment of the wing case and tail, SMART. I will be looking for the Prince, my favorite nymph.

Frank
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 PM

streamcaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to streamcaddis Send a message via Yahoo to streamcaddis
Thumbs up Re: Gold Ribbed Hares Ear

Thats one good looking nymph!. I too like the idea of using pheasant tail. Keep up the good tying..
Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Hello Streamcaddis,

Thank you for your complement tying has always been fun for me ever since the age of 12 and a good way to pass those cold winter hours. Had a few good teachers along the way as well such as Earnest Shwiebert, Don Bayler to name a couple.

Using the pheasant tail reduces your time at the vise as you tie in the entire fiber and use it for the wing case as well thus saving time tying these guys up. And it looks great as well once you get it down you can tie a bunch of quality fly's in no time.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-