The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default wind river nymph

here is a first attempt at using split feather quills for segmented body on a nymph... I tried the technique with some turkey fan quills ...I stripped off the barbs and saved them for future reference, then soaked it for a few minutes to make it soft and not brittle...a little buffalo wool for the dubbing...short ginger rooster hackle...and turkey fan back...this is a size 18...pretty small for me...for the hackle work etc...I just dont know how folks crank these little bugs out!

all the materials are from harvests...from South Dakota and Colorado

size 14-18 nymph hook up eye
turkey fan quill for body segments
brown buffalo wool dubbing
brown/orange rooster hackle
turkey fan shell back w/ a little head cement glazing

Click the image to open in full size.

its fun not using wire and getting the accents etc. I am going to try this on some caddis nymphs too...I like the texture and color...a marker pen can do the green I imagine for the caddis...I think next time I will sand the quill a bit to even out the thickness a bit...

I think it will work...it is patterned after a pic my friend showed me of some bugs in that part of Wyo... I will be up there later this year scouting out a new place to move to...and of course doing some fishing too...
Kerry Pitt and rubberguy like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 04-03-2013 at 08:53 PM.