The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 13 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glow minnow

Click the image to open in full size.

I tied these for night when the Walleye are hitting Emerald Shiners on or near the surface. I also tied a version with a cone head to get a bit deeper if need be.

I used glow in the dark spider web from the Halloween section of K-Mart. This stuff is awsome. It has about the exact same qualities as EP Fiber, but it glows and comes in a giant 'lifetime supply' bag for next to nothing.

Step one lay down a good thread base and cement it. Then tie in a bit as a tail. I went about one hook length. Sorry about the blurry photo.
next I cut up pieces about an inch long or so. lay them out to make a dubbing brush.
I then make a dubbing loop, wax it and place the cut off spider web in it.
I then spin the loop and place a hackle pliers on the end.
Again, sorry about the blurry photo. Wrap it forward brushing the fibers back as you go.
repeat if it does not make it to the end. Try not to trap fibers down as you wrap.
When you get it up to the eye, tie and cement a head then pick out the trapped fibers all the way around the fly.
Trim the body of the fly to the desired minnow shape. This should be packed tight enough to hold the minnow shape even when stripped through the water. I then use thick CA glue like Zap a gap and glue the eyes on.

The cone head Version.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Glow minnow

Thanks or posting not only the finished product, but also the SBS.

Can you use marker on this to create vertical stripping?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I do it some other glow flies so sure, why not.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

man that glow clouser is sweet
i'll bet it would be a killer for night time lmb!

casey

ARFE
Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

I got glow in the dark flashabou that matches all three colors of Bucktail. It looks normal in the light and glows right in the dark. I like everything I did on that fly but the glow in the dark thread. I will not be doing that on those in the future.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: You should have repackaged the glow in the dark material into 1/2 oz packages and sold it at inflated prices it to the fly tiers like everyone else does. The material that comes to mind is the plastic colored d-rib or the hollow ribbing material, the small amount they put in those packages is crazy.....have you seen how little material is in one of those packages?

Larry
Guest1 and caseywise like this.

Larry
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

looks like something fun to fish at night for big critters in a pond...

I wish I had that many years ago when sneaking into ponds was my favorite past time...

I dont think they can bust me so many years later can they??
mcnerney likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan: You should have repackaged the glow in the dark material into 1/2 oz packages and sold it at inflated prices it to the fly tiers like everyone else does. The material that comes to mind is the plastic colored d-rib or the hollow ribbing material, the small amount they put in those packages is crazy.....have you seen how little material is in one of those packages?

Larry
lol, and go to michaels and buy those plastic heart shaped beads
and sell them as "musky beads" or "pike beads"
hell, a guy could make a living doing just that.
hmmmmmmmmm

casey
mcnerney likes this.

ARFE