The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default "meet the hendriksons" video tie...

after spending some time watching the video from "Tightline Productions" on Vimeo, that was posted on the Entomology area on the forum...I tried to duplicate a few nymphs like those shown there in detail.

I learned a lot about some behavior of those bugs I never was aware of. Especially the arched back movements it made in an attempt to go up to the surface...so I tried to include that a bit in this pattern...also the movement of the gills on the abdomen...

I added a few flank barbs for that...the tail section was a bit of a challenge, but after a few tries it started to get a bit easier...this same pattern in the tail section and thorax minus the wing case is also going to be the base for my next May Fly pattern too...

once the half hitches for the segnmenting got going they become a lot easier...and really add some realism to the tie...I actually twisted my regal with the tail facing me and it got a lot easier to make the knots in the half hitches...I used a waxed dyed mallard flank for the base of the tail section...its natural arch was a good base for the elk fur added on to it...I scratched it up a bit , to give it a slightly "furry look" similar to what the rel bugs have...

I need to find some bettrer dubbing for the thorax area...in the same color as the flank webbing...but for now it worked OK..

Click the image to open in full size.

size 14( or maybe 16?) straight shank hook...
elk fur, mallard flank dyed amber for tail...
pheaseant tail for wing case...
some webbing for thorax dubbing...
a few flank barbs to simulate gill area...(when wet and moving)

once I get this down more I want to use in for my POTM in May...and do an SBS for it..

all the best...ted
fysh, mcnerney, Rip Tide and 2 others like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 04-30-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "meet the hendriksons" video tie...

Ted: Sweet looking pattern!

Larry
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Beautiful fly Ted!

If you don't own it already, you would really like the book, Emergers (Richards/Swisher - 1997). The entire book is dedicated to tying flies to mimic the profile and behavior of emerging mayflies and caddisflies... even tying small articulated nymphs.

The book cover pretty much says it all.

Emergers: Carl Richards, Doug Swisher: 9781558216587: Amazon.com: Books Emergers: Carl Richards, Doug Swisher: 9781558216587: Amazon.com: Books

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

the Tightline Productions Videos are so incredible...I will P/U a copy of that book too...

after some more research(watching some more videos of the bugs in their natural environment) I should switch the elk fur and mallard flank...putting the mallard flank on top...and the elk fur on the bottom...to be more accurate as to the colors ...

I have to be honest here...after 40 some years of tying...I am finally starting to figure it out...

what I mean is this...for years I always copied other patterns...then I started making modifacations based on personal observances...ie seining and using a stomach pump...

now I am actually starting to feel free to just copy bugs straight up...I always knew that the colors used by many patterns were more for attraction...and not the natural colors...now I dont care...I am just tying from what I see in nature...either from my own experience...or from videos or similar that take it to the next level...

what a thrill it is to connect with a bug you made from scratch!

I really appreciate remarks and post by folks like yourselves to help us all raise the bar...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/