The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Sierra Bright Dot

I've been tying up some flies for family taking a trip to fish some streams in the Eastern Sierras in June, so I did some poking around to figure out what flies might be helpful for them. While asking advice someone passed along a link to the Sierra Bright Dot. So among the other patterns I tied I included a couple for each of them.

It's a simple fly. I tied it in 14 and 16 with 8/0 black thread. Tail is golden pheasant tippet, fore and aft grizzle hackle with red floss in between. Anyone fish this pattern?

Click the image to open in full size.

I've read some books that talk about the origin of fly patterns and find it interesting. This fly is no different though what I've found is brief. It has been in use for over 60 years and its namesake is connected to the incident which gave Convict Lake its name, if you google it some information will come up. Hopefully it'll be useful for them on their trip, I figured if nothing else it might be nice to fish a more traditional pattern for the region. I tied a few up for myself to try here in Colorado.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sierra Bright Dot

Some North Fork Yuba River fisheremen say it's the go-to fly for that drainage.
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Some North Fork Yuba River fisheremen say it's the go-to fly for that drainage.
Interesting. I've never fished in the Sierras. If it works well on the Yuba hopefully it's be useful down on tribs to the Owens River.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have not read up on the fly, so I do not know its history. I use it as an attractor. I have caught trout with it, so I always have a few SDBs in my Sierra stream box.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I fish em...named after a lady, I think....Dorothy Bright...good attractor in the E Sierra
mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

that is a dandy fly right there - have tied them with emu feathers, but lost all the flies and don't have any more emu. Think I will tie some just the way you did. Thanks.
Paul
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

This is where I had read about Dorothy Bright...Steven Ojai's web page

The Sierra Bright Dot is a Fore and Aft pattern. The pattern has been used primarily on the Eastside of the Southern Sierra for many years going back to the 1950's. It has remained popular as an attractor pattern yet has not extended it's popularity beyond the Sierra. The Fore and Aft dry pattern goes back to the early 1900's as it's origins have been disputed between the French and the English. Jean-Paul Puguegnot's book , French Fishing Flies, cites a Doctor Juge who created Fore and Aft patterns in 1918. His Taquine pattern consists of a red thread body with grey hackles. Horace Brown of England also laid claim to designing Fore and After flies in the 1930's. Either way, the pattern eventually made it's way to the Sierra Nevada and became a major pattern for the region.

Trent Pridemore wrote about the Sierra Bright Dot in his article "Trout Flies Unique to California" (California Fly Fisher July/August 2008). He indicates that the "Bright" of Bright Dot is in honor of Dorothy Bright, the wife of a mine owner at Convict Lake, also known as Monte Diablo Lake at the time. The Brights owned the mining village while it was attacked by 6 escaped prisoners in 1871. This episode led to the name change of the lake. It is unknown who originated the Sierra Bright Dot pattern but it has been a preferred pattern for high elevation lakes and streams of the Sierra, particularly good with Golden Trout.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Thanks for posting that, its an interesting history. It looks like a bit south of Convict Lake is a Lake Dorothy and also a Bright Dot Lake. Nothing very significant but interesting none the less.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

I have used that fly up in Golden Trout Wilderness on the Eastern Sierras and caught lots of fish. Could also be that the Goldens were eating anything that looked buggy too
williamhj likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Very nice dressing William,

Re: “ Anyone fish this pattern? “

Yes, we carry them in our small waters boxes ( dressed heavier for pocket water and with fluorescent floss ), where they rest alongside another hot spot type attractor fly. The Sierra Gnat which is just a Griffith’s Gnat with a ( 505 ) fluorescent fire orange band of floss at the mid point. The latter I tend to use more often on still and slow moving water.

TT

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and williamhj like this.