The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: WVa Messinger Fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
i dont believe that only four people can tie this fly! There are far to many great tyers out there and on this forum alone!
As i said before show us a readable demo and watch how many people will tie it! I would like to see just so I can take my shot at the "IMPOSSIBLE"!
Actually there are only 3 people can tie this Fly ....and Joe is the boss.... and Joes son and myself..that I know of.......Give this fly a whirl you will be in for a ride....Loads of fun

FlySlinger

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Quote:
i dont believe that only four people can tie this fly! There are far to many great tyers out there and on this forum alone!
As i said before show us a readable demo and watch how many people will tie it! I would like to see just so I can take my shot at the "IMPOSSIBLE"!
Sir From what I know there are only 3 people that can tie this Fly ....Joe is the boss his son can also can this this fly....and my self Frank Zervos
Give it a whril you will be in for a big thrill..

FlySlinger

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Sir From what I know there are only 3 people that can tie this Fly ....Joe is the boss his son can also can this this fly....and my self Frank Zervos
Give it a whril you will be in for a big thrill..

FlySlinger
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

As stated as soon as I can get a recipe that I can READ ther will be at least 4 people who can tie this. I guess all the pictures all over the place and the ones I have seen in shops and shows were tied by 3 people who travel a lot!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
As stated as soon as I can get a recipe that I can READ ther will be at least 4 people who can tie this. I guess all the pictures all over the place and the ones I have seen in shops and shows were tied by 3 people who travel a lot!
Try this recipe and please post what you tie. I'm interested in tying this but won't be home for a while. Like you, I am confident I can tie this but only after a few practice sessions. Cool looking fly.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/docu...ktail-Frog.pdf

***After more review I found that this PDF was previously posted a couple years ago***
I'd like to see someone else tie this though.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySlinger View Post
Actually there are only 3 people can tie this Fly ....and Joe is the boss.... and Joes son and myself..that I know of.......Give this fly a whirl you will be in for a ride....Loads of fun

FlySlinger

Challenge accepted.

Once musky season is over I'll give this a fair shot using the ted4887 method.

By the looks of the photos, the tier would just stack deer hair, using a square knot rather than regular wraps. Care to elaborate on why you think that might be?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WVa Messinger Frog

Actually what I'd like to see is a fly swap of this fly by some of our best tiers. Just four or five guys tying different variants of this thing. Now that would be entertaining.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
I was just about to scan this article. I'm glad that I looked at the link first.
It's from American Angler July/Aug 1991
This is a little clearer than the PDF, I think

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-21-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Does this fly work better than all the other frogs out there? If not, why bother? Maybe I'm just lazy...lol!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Does this fly work better than all the other frogs out there? If not, why bother? Maybe I'm just lazy...lol!
Nothing wrong with wanting to do something for the heck of it. Doesn't have to be a 'reason' beyond the desire. Personally I have no interest in trying this one, but will enjoy seeing pictures as members learn the pattern.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting to do something for the heck of it. Doesn't have to be a 'reason' beyond the desire. Personally I have no interest in trying this one, but will enjoy seeing pictures as members learn the pattern.
Yeah, I get that. I guess the OP bragging how he is something special kind of rubbed me the wrong way...lol!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of misinterpreting what the OP meant, I think that FlySlinger may have originally been saying that only 3 people have learned to tie this pattern; Joe, Joe Jr. and himself. I don't think that he was trying to say that only 3 people have the ability to tie that fly. Logic, whether correct or not, suggests that Joe probably taught Joe Jr. and that FlySlinger learned to tie this pattern through Joe's video. I have no doubts that others can tie it and judging from some of the comments on this thread, I think that others will soon be tying it.

It's an interesting frog pattern; if it's as much action as FlySlinger says it is, then it's probably worth a shot.

Have you looked at FlySlinger's catskill dries? They're pretty nice, too.

Pocono