The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: WVa Messinger Frog

The funny thing about this pattern is it happens to be a very nice looking tie even though there is a lot involved in making it and for such a so called difficult pattern I've seen it many times. Seems that every place in WV that carries flys has it and many places in Pa even a shop that doesn't specialize in fly fishing. My point being that there must be quite a few people doing this pattern for it to be in so many places. The one shop in Blakeslee it is tied by a local female tyer and it is really nice! It looks like a challenge but definitely worth a try especially now that there are instructions that are legible! Worse comes to worse I can talk to the lady who ties them by me!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
The one shop in Blakeslee it is tied by a local female tyer and it is really nice! It looks like a challenge but definitely worth a try especially now that there are instructions that are legible! Worse comes to worse I can talk to the lady who ties them by me!
That wouldn't be Gene's AA Outfitters would it?

Pocono
Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
That wouldn't be Gene's AA Outfitters would it?

Pocono
Nope! Blakeslee Sport Shop. I think it's the only fly fishing item in the store! As far as fly stores my place is the Evening Hatch!

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

And it DEFINATELY wouldn't be!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Nope! Blakeslee Sport Shop. I think it's the only fly fishing item in the store! As far as fly stores my place is the Evening Hatch!

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

And it DEFINATELY wouldn't be!
Warning - Thread Hyjack in Progress

I used to go to the Blakeslee Sports Shop to get my annual fishing license; only thing I ever got there. I used to get most of my fly tying materials from the Evening Hatch. But, I liked AA; I spent a lot of time there, fished quite a bit with Gene and some of the other guys and learned to tie flies from people like Stanley Cooper, Jr., Mike Romanofsky and Gene. It was my home Fly Shop when we lived in Pocono Pines.

Pocono
theboz likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Get my license every year at Blakeslee Sport Shop . Only other times I go there are when I'm taking my Grandkids fishing and need bait. But now that Evening Hatch sells bait gives me another exuse to go there and they are a great bunch of guys. Been to AA twice once to see a demo by Lefty and the other time , well you fish with Gene I'll leave it at that ! Thankfully there are two shops in the area!
Pocono likes this.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 AM

Yup, he does have a specific personality, but he knows a lot about fly fishing; learned most of it from his dad, who opened the shop and ran it for many years before Gene took over.

Two shops are good.......

Pocono
theboz likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Perhaps I'm just not understanding the point here, but why use the square knots when stacking the deer hair? I'm planning on giving this a whirl tonight if I can find the time. But I'm just perplexed as to why you wouldn't just stack the hair like you do normally. Is it just to be different, or is there a good reason behind it? It seems to me that you could achieve the same thing, with tighter hair and more durability, by just stacking the hair normally.