The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM

FlySlinger has a spectacular aura aboutFlySlinger has a spectacular aura about
Default WVa Messinger Frog

Hi Fellows this is a Messinger Frog these are etxra Ordinary.. there arn't to many fellows that can Tye these...I havn't been tying one this site for a long..Time...If you have any questions about this frog I will answer your questions....

Ps: this Deer Hair is not spun on, It is done in the messinger style

Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono likes this.

Last edited by jpbfly; 10-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:37 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WVa Messinger Fog

Is this the same pattern you posted a few years ago? There are some sbs linked in the previous thread which are helpful. I really like the legs on the frog, might be fun to play around with.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

ribbit...nice tie...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Is this the same pattern you posted a few years ago? There are some sbs linked in the previous thread which are helpful. I really like the legs on the frog, might be fun to play around with.
That is an older Frog of mine, but this one3is Quite different if you study the body........Play around with the legs there is quite a bit to them..
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I, for one am impressed. I have made a couple of attemps @ doing this but alas, I don't have the skill or patience. Maybe both.....I have done a couple by stacking deer hair but not by the Messinger method. I don't do a lot of bass fishing but I do have a soft spot for 'frogs'. The ones that I have tied have never been wet. Maybe this year. We will see.

ditz
Ray Ditzenberger
Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Im always hearing about how hard this fly is to tie and yet I see them everywhere. The thing I don't see is some kind of instruction that's readable. I would really like to see this "square knot" technique if anyone has any info on where to view it.
There are many great tyers out there and someone must be able to shed some light on this. And no I'm not buying a DVD to learn one technique!

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Rip tide this is your cue if you got anything?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

That's a great tie. One can tell you learned from the master.

Although my memory isn't what it used to be (and it was never all that great), I seem to remember seeing a tying demonstration by Joe Jr. up here in Michigan at a Cabela's.

Great looking fly.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
That's a great tie. One can tell you learned from the master.

Although my memory isn't what it used to be (and it was never all that great), I seem to remember seeing a tying demonstration by Joe Jr. up here in Michigan at a Cabela's.

Great looking fly.
Hi Fellows this is a very tough fly...I learned in 1990 threw Joe Messinger and his video.....According to Joe Messinger there are few flytyers in the world that can tie this frog....1..Joe Messinger 2 .Joes Son 3. Me, Frank Zervos As Far as I was concerned...It was no easy Feat Long and arduous....you will learn a new set of tying skills to accomplish Feat

FlySlinger
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

i dont believe that only four people can tie this fly! There are far to many great tyers out there and on this forum alone!
As i said before show us a readable demo and watch how many people will tie it! I would like to see just so I can take my shot at the "IMPOSSIBLE"!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Again, if my memory serves me correct, the reason Joe Jr. was at Cabela's is that he had put together a kit for tying the fly. It basically consisted of a patch of all the materials required.

I can't say one way or the other how successful the kit may have been.

Here is a link to a fairly detailed article (8 pages) by Joe Jr. if anyone is interested in giving it a try -

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/docu...ktail-Frog.pdf

Myself, I'm going to stick with using Kermit as my frog fly, he takes about two minutes and no skill to tie

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, swampdonkey and theboz like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo