The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 12:43 AM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about
Default Tying the Early Season Klinkhammer Special

Step by step tying the Early Season Klinkhammer Special great fly for the early quill hatch here in the North East or any where for that matter.
Click the image to open in full size.

Materials needed ;

1. hook Mustad C49S size 12

2. 3/0-6/0 olive green thread

3. post white cavs tail or polly yarn

4. orvis olive body glass

5. spectrablend dubbing brown, olive

6. barred ginger or cree hackle

Tie as follows put hook in vise start thread and tie in cavs tail with figure eight wraps.
Pull post upright and tie in put a touch of head cement to hold in place.
Tie in body glass as shown and wind up to one hook eye length of post trim and tie in.
Tie in hackle apply spectrablend dubbing to thread wind dubbing behind and infront of post.
Wind Hackle on to post bottom to top and back down and tie in.
Finnish head trim thread and trim top of post apply head cement to head and post to create a durable fly.

Note: Can be tie in any range of colors to match your particular needs and any size 12-16.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying the Early Season Klinkhammer Special

Looks good. thanks flityer

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Flityer, but to make it more expanding, you can use any material for the bodies, even add a tail in the middle while will look normal in the water but give the effect it is much smaller. CDC for a post also. You can do whatever you want to this fly. I use the 200R hook and bent it a little bit behind the eye.
Try this with BIOT, cool looking fly.

A little something I do when tying the hackle around the post, is once i have wrapped it around, I put a little Zap-A-Gap on the tying thread and wrap around the post and hackle with the glue coated thread. Just a little.
Then I make the head and whip finish.
Makes the fly a little more bullet proof.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

great illustraiton and great tips joni

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I even go to a #20 but like I said I use a 200R so that really isn't that small.