The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By noreaster
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By baseman1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Green Machine Variation: Ever try this configuration?

Hey there

I have been using this pattern variation of the Green Machine off and on; stripping it and drifting it. Seems to work pretty good. Mossy green and brown deer hair body, grizzly hackle, mallard flank tail with flash and chartreuse hot spot.
Anyone ever use different color deer hair? Blending two like here, or different color hackles or flash and bright spots for tails?

Click the image to open in full size.

cheers
phil
baseman1 and mridenour like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Green Machine Variation: Ever try this configuration?

Very nice. I still need to tie a few bomber patterns. As much fun as I have tying with deer hair, I have never actually tied a bomber.
noreaster likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Very nice. I still need to tie a few bomber patterns. As much fun as I have tying with deer hair, I have never actually tied a bomber.
This is the first year I've actually steadily tied and fished the bomber machine style fly. They are pretty productive as a "test the waters" pattern or general attractor pattern. I plan on exploring more natural configurations in the future.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

That's always been the appeal of those flies to me which is why I find it so odd that I have never actually tied any. I almost always start fishing any new waters in search of aggressive fish, first. This just seems like that perfect fly that.
noreaster likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
That's always been the appeal of those flies to me which is why I find it so odd that I have never actually tied any. I almost always start fishing any new waters in search of aggressive fish, first. This just seems like that perfect fly that.
Unless you are going after giant trout I would suggest trying a smaller hook version like a size 12, 14 or even a 16 if you can handle that small. They really look nice on a smaller hook like a bee or horsefly or a pinfish. Once they get bigger they look less appealing to the average brook sized trout or so it seems.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:02 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

very interesting pattern, lots going on, gnat like, bee like, small hopper or beetle
all good

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I've got all kinds of different colour buck bugs/green machines. The bumble bee version is popular in NFLD for Atlantics. I really like my blue smurfs and black beauties. I tied up a nice yellow buck bug for my friend that works nicely. Try tying in some pieces of flash with the deer hair.
noreaster likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover