The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By s fontinalis
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Tying the Pryce-Tannatt Durham Ranger Part 2 - ribs, hackle, body, throat

You can find Part 1 of this set here

Starting with the ribs, here there are two, one is flat silver tinsel, the other is oval silver tinsel.
THe hooks is rotated in the vise to allow easy access to the bottom, and the flat tinsel is tied in first, at about the 530 position, then the oval silver tinsel is tied in at the 600 position. This allows them to be wrapped closely together with the oval following the flat.
Both are secured along the hook shank to the first marker. THis is the marker for the body divisions.
Click the image to open in full size.

At this point, the lemon floss is tied in, then wound back to the butt, and back up again, then secured with two or three wraps of waxed thread.

After the back floss section is burnished to make is nice and smooth, the flat tinsel is false wrapped to the front to find the tie in point for the hackle.
On salmon flies the hackle usually starts from the second turn of tinsel.
You can see the green mark where the hackle will be tied in, and another green mark for the end of the second body division.

close up

The tinsel is then unwound and the folded hackle secured to the underside of the hook as before with the tinsel.

The rest of the body is three equal sections of seals fur, orange, firey brown and black.

After tying the body, i rough it up a bit with a toothbrush.

Then the ribs are would, the flat tinsel first, followed with touching wraps by the oval tinsel.

Then follows the hackle, in this case a badger dyed yellow.
Because it was tied in at the correct position, it should closely follow the oval tinsel from the second turn of the ribs.

At this point, a light blue hackle is tied in for the throat, with the barbs just a fraction longer than the longest hackles of the rib.
The throat is wound full, then pulled down and wrapped back with the waxed white thread. The thread is then tied off in prepartion for the black thread used to tie the wing.

The fly is really starting to take shape now, and you can see really see the extra length of the hook which, if i get the wing right, will give the fly a long low and racy look.

Part three to follow shortly.

Thanks for looking

Eunan
mcnerney, darwin and williamhj like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 09-08-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tying the Pryce-Tannatt Durham Ranger Part 2 - ribs, hackle, body, throat

That excellent pictorial almost makes me want to tie full dress flies like that... then I wake up. Too many ordinary materials laying around to start a whole new tying habit and stay married.
I have to ask, what kind of vice is that you used in part 1? It looked as though it had forked jaws.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying the Pryce-Tannatt Durham Ranger Part 2 - ribs, hackle, body, throat

Eunan: Awesome looking pattern and step-by-step! It is hard for me to imagine the patience and skill you have to tie those flies like you do.

Larry
s fontinalis likes this.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
That excellent pictorial almost makes me want to tie full dress flies like that... then I wake up. Too many ordinary materials laying around to start a whole new tying habit and stay married.
I have to ask, what kind of vice is that you used in part 1? It looked as though it had forked jaws.
Vise is a cottarelli, I posted a thread with as picture of it a few weeks back

Addicted To Vise