The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 AM

fishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the rough
Default Two of my favorite stonefly nymph patterns

Here are two more stonefly nymph patterns I really like to use

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice
Default Re: Two of my favorite stonefly nymph patterns

very nice!

what hook are you using there? and is it my eyes or are you using a similar colored piece of material to form a wing case/carapace on the body or is just the ribbing?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 AM

josie will become famous soon enough

Looks nice and tight for some great lakes steelhead.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice flies. Looks like they are taking a bow! I enjoy tying and fishing stones.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Kinda horny looking

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I like them....trout should love them
Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

OK, first great looking flies!

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I've never been a fan of biots. I know they're popular for patterns like this, but I've never liked them. IMO, they're lifeless. I would much prefer to add rubber or silicone leg material or some other material that contributes some motion to a fly in place of biots. Anyone else have this same opinion or attitude towards biots, or am I alone?
flytire likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 PM

fishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
OK, first great looking flies!

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I've never been a fan of biots. I know they're popular for patterns like this, but I've never liked them. IMO, they're lifeless. I would much prefer to add rubber or silicone leg material or some other material that contributes some motion to a fly in place of biots. Anyone else have this same opinion or attitude towards biots, or am I alone?
The way it works with me is, if it work, then it does not need to be tweaked.

Some of my patterns work better with biots then rubber legs, not sure why but the fish make the final decision LOL

I do use rubber legs alot though

Heres one to boggle your mind, biots AND rubber LOL

I also have a pattern where I use porcupine quills
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
The way it works with me is, if it work, then it does not need to be tweaked.
Flies (and lures) always need to be tweaked, but that's a whole different issue! I'm forever tinkering!

Those are my kind of flies! Very nice indeed!

It's a psychological thing with me I know! A bit of a mental block I have about biots. I know that flies tied with them work, but I like that added motion. The ideal nymph IMO is buggy & moves!

I've posted this fly before. It's my big stonefly nymph pattern. I tie it on a size 2 hook and primarily use it for stream SM bass, but I have tied it smaller in the past & had success catching trout with it. The pattern recipe is on my blog.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Flies (and lures) always need to be tweaked, but that's a whole different issue! I'm forever tinkering!

Those are my kind of flies! Very nice indeed!

It's a psychological thing with me I know! A bit of a mental block I have about biots. I know that flies tied with them work, but I like that added motion. The ideal nymph IMO is buggy & moves!

I've posted this fly before. It's my big stonefly nymph pattern. I tie it on a size 2 hook and primarily use it for stream SM bass, but I have tied it smaller in the past & had success catching trout with it. The pattern recipe is on my blog.

Hey I like that, thanks ill check out the recipe. I always like adding new patterns to the box to try