The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner's nymph and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I'm sure in the past you've seen those foam brushes that are used to clean your dishes... Find a yellow one... Cut out a chunk of foam... Take a brown marker and color one end... That's the crust... Put it on a hook... Now you got a bread fly. Also carp will take all kinds of other flies... Nymphs... Buggers... Etc. So don't feel you need a bread fly to catch a carp.

Also for deep water try fishing at dawn and dusk or even at night if it allows... This'll increase your chances of catching fish that retreat to the safer deeper water during the day... But come in shallow in low light conditions to feed.
Itchmesir thanks for the advice. I have a lot of dish foams in my kitchen. I will use them to tie some.

You know, in a lake(let's say the depth is 10 ft) you cast your baits with a sinker and just wait. How does that happen in fly fishing? Should i cast it and wait until a fish comes and gets it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Don't feel like you are alone, we all make the same mistakes when first starting to learn to tie flies, too much material and crowding the eye of the hook are pretty much the mistakes we all make. Just something to think about when tying and trying to avoid.

Glad to have you fly fishing and participating on the forum and best of luck with your tying and going after Carp, they can be quite the challenge but well worth the effort to figure out how to catch on a fly rod.

Larry
Thank you Larry. I am trying my best. So glad to have you guys to help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
we as anglers have to make the best of the areas we live when we go fishing

turkey doesnt seem like the fly fishing mecca of the world but maybe your just a pioneer

carp are great fun on the fly and maybe you should explore these further

they will take all sorts of nymphs and simple flies as well as
"bread" imitations
What are the chances of getting a carp on the fly? Is it a common thing to catch carps on fly?

Should i cast my bait and just leave it after sinking down or wait for a couple seconds and cast again?

Guys with your guidance, i tied that fly again. I tied and untied these about 3 times each, until i got some satisfactory results. Since the hook i use is soooo small i can't tie it very well. On red body part i couldn't hide the line but i guess the fish will like these. I think one of them is still a little too fat while the other one is a little too skinny .

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by querorz View Post
What are the chances of getting a carp on the fly? Is it a common thing to catch carps on fly?

Should i cast my bait and just leave it after sinking down or wait for a couple seconds and cast again?
oh, you'll get em

try sight fishing for feeding carp

sinking sure but stripping and twitching it in his face might be good too

ive been looking at the internet at fly fishing in turkey

depending on where you are, there really seems to be quite a diverse fishing scene over there

seems like you guys have a wide range of climates over there, from coastal, mountain, desert, and a bit of everything in between
Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I think you may find that both of those nymphs will work. A lot of carp are caught on the fly in Europe and the US for sure.

Does your pike lake freeze in winter and kill the weeds? I am guessing yes because that is usually the climate where pike live. If so, you might want to try that lake in late winter and very early spring. Your 5WT should cast a small streamer well enough and that could catch some pike. If you catch pike or carp on your 5WT I think you will have a permanent smile. You will need to use a good leader or even a smaller pike will bite off your tippet with ease.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 AM

First of all, HELP GUYS! My nymphs sink soooo fast. It takes 1 second to get to the bottom. I use angora wool as dubbing material and apparently it soaks all the water and makes the fly too heavy. Also the red part of the fly is a wool. Should i change the material? What else can i try using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
oh, you'll get em

try sight fishing for feeding carp

sinking sure but stripping and twitching it in his face might be good too

ive been looking at the internet at fly fishing in turkey

depending on where you are, there really seems to be quite a diverse fishing scene over there

seems like you guys have a wide range of climates over there, from coastal, mountain, desert, and a bit of everything in between
Sight fishing is not possible because they never come up but i will try.

Thanks for making a research for me but unfortunately you'll find nothing about Fly Fishing in Turkey . We have a lot of species but the problem is not about species.

The problem is pollution and people being savage. They never release fishes. They cast nets, they use dynamits and all kind of ugly things. The joy of fishing means nothing to them. They just care about fish meat and that's it. I release fishes all the time and most of the people think i am idiot.
When you go to a lake you will see plastic bottles and bags everywhere. So ugly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I think you may find that both of those nymphs will work. A lot of carp are caught on the fly in Europe and the US for sure.

Does your pike lake freeze in winter and kill the weeds? I am guessing yes because that is usually the climate where pike live. If so, you might want to try that lake in late winter and very early spring. Your 5WT should cast a small streamer well enough and that could catch some pike. If you catch pike or carp on your 5WT I think you will have a permanent smile. You will need to use a good leader or even a smaller pike will bite off your tippet with ease.
Our lakes don't freeze. Not cold enough unfortunately. But i guess some of the weeds do die. I will try to do that soon . TY
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

a few links

vimeo trout in turkey

ebi fisher on you tube - lots of videos

a turkey fishing blog
ابی فیشر

researching brown trout locations in Turkey
Norm Crisp on Fly Fishing and his Travel Adventures: TURKISH TROUT

turkey fishing forum - few pages to dig through
Fishing in Turkey - Turkish Living Forums

half the fun in fishing for me is using the internet to research

i think you could even dig up more if you put in the time
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM

buddhist_palm i appreciate your helps so much. I know that you might think that i am wrong at saying there is no fly fishing here but i am not . I assure you that there are no more than a couple hundreds of people who have ever seen a fly rod in real life .

We got some rivers too but very few of them are suitable for fly fishing. Most of them don't have good fish populations and are badly corrupted.

I know i complain so much but that doesn't mean i am not gonna try. Even catching coarse fishes is a great fun for me. So i won't care so much that other people killing pikes, carps, trouts or other precious species because i will go after worthless coarse fishes. They taste bad and they are worthless in terms of gamefishing and thus not often hunted by people but they are absolutely fun to catch .
Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 PM

I hope you don't think I was trying to doubt the conditions of your waters. I could also get that there are no regulations to protect fish from being exploited as there are where I live.

I could imagine as well that fly fishing is unheard of.

Much respect to your pursuit
Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Thank you buddhist_palm. I know how respectful you are . No need to say that. Thank you

What do you think about my Caddis Larvae guys?

Click the image to open in full size.

I used rubber for the body.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

No fly fishing here either. I bet there aren't half dozen fly rods in the county, besides mine.

In my lifetime I've seen a couple guys with fly rods floating worms and such down to trout,,and that's IT.

What I have learned,,I've scratched and looked and experimented best I could by myself. Youtube is great for a tier without any mentor. I'm not 'real good' but mine catch trout and I'm getting better.

Mike
Old 11-24-2013, 12:26 PM

learning2fly will become famous soon enoughlearning2fly will become famous soon enough

Hey your flies are getting better! Its great to see people having fun tying flies. I am an intermediate tyer with maybe 250 flies worth of experience. Try using a floatant like a strike indicator to keep your flies from sinking? I would guess for the carp if you tied a bread pattern you would want it in the dry fly variant. Post some photos of the fish you catch if you would. I love to see what your after. Click the link in my signature for info and tips on fly tying/fly fishing. Good luck out there!