The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner's nymph and questions

Hey guys,

I caught my first fishes on fly rod a couple days ago. These were coarse fishes(European Species like Rudd) . They were interested in most of the nymph patterns but the ones with bead attracted more fish.

This one was the favourite(i bought it. Not tied it myself)
Click the image to open in full size.

I wanted to tie something similar to that. I used a white bead instead of a golden one. Do you think a white bead will work fine? Because i never see white beads on flies. Mostly reflective materials like gold or silver. My dubbing is too thick i guess.

Click the image to open in full size.

I wonder 1 thing really: For example while you are fishing for bass you can use 1000 colors of the same lure pattern and be successful pretty much all the time(even if the lure has extremely crazy colors) .

What about for fly fishing? How accurate should colors be? Can i tie a nymph in crazy colors(that doesn't exist in nature) and be successful or does it have to be in the exactly same colors with what's in the nature? I hope i am clear here.

A bass will attack a purple fishing lure , even though there are no purple fishes in his diet. What about for fly patterns? Will fishes like a purple fly or nymph?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:39 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Beginner's nymph and questions

Thanks for sharing the PICs. I'm not certain what you intend to fish for, but many species will hit non-natural colors. Some fish often seem to prefer them to natural colors. As far as the bead heads, metallic are often a better choice here, but that does not mean a white bead can not catch fish. At times it does not make any difference if a nymph has a bead head or not.

As far as whether your nymph has too much dubbing. The fish will let you know what they think. If material gets too close to the hook barb, it can prevent good hook set though.

Good luck. Try out your new fly and tell us how it works.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

One thing to remember when comparing to bass is that they are incredibly aggressive and territorial. So with that said, they can and will hit anything they see as a threat or possible food.

I am learning nymphing for trout and find that they are very particular as to what they are biting. So far the favorite I have are a Zug Bug and Zebra Midge.

What are you fishing for again??
Old 11-11-2013, 07:24 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Congrats on your first fishes on the fly rod and same to your fly. That looks very good, I'd expect a lot of fish to give it a look.

I'd love to see some rough fish. Where you from?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the looks of your nymph (has a nice buggy look), but be careful not to decrease the natural hook gape. Compare the two nymphs and you will see what I'm talking about.

Larry
jcw355 likes this.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Congrats of the fish - now yu are really hooked.

I would agree with your observation that your nymph is a bit over dubbed. Looks like you the gape a bit which is going to make hook sets a bit difficult. Fish it anyhow, and fish it hard.

Beads are sometimes for weight, sometimes for sparkle, sometimes of color. Copper gold and silver are the most popular. I use a lot of glass beads because of the translucence and they don't sink as fast as metal beads. Then again, I fish mostly shallow places.

Purple is an effective fly color because fish can see it more easily at depth. Violet and ultra violet light penetrate more deeply into the water. If you go deep enough (far below fly fishing depths) red becomes a nearly invisible shade of medium grey.

If you tie, keep notes.... tie, fish, observe, take notes, modify, tie, fish, observe, take notes, read old notes, modify, tie, fish, observe, take notes, read old notes, repeat, lather and rinse.

As far a crazy colors, I tie a stone fly nymph with a mix of wool dubbing which is 2 parts purple, 1 part olive and 1/2 part dark red and 1/2 part brown. I dub it to form a mottled body. Looks a little weird, but it works.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 AM

querorz is on a distinguished road

Thank you all guys so much. ia_trouter, gregnash, buddhist_palm, mecnerney,random user, i appreciate it. I am shocked of seeing how generous you are to share your knowledge with foreigners every single time i ask you guys something.

I am from Turkey. We have no fly fishing here. It's is a miracle that i even caught some fishes with fly.

I catch coarse fishes with nymphes. This is an American forum, so you don't know some of these species: Rudd, Roach or fishes like shiners. Small species. These fishes are easy to catch with fly. So i target them. There is no trout, salmon or other predator species around.

We have pike but lakes are so weedy and my 5-6# rod is not suitable for big flies. There is a river with carps in it and water level is pretty shallow too. I might try to catch carp with fly. In this river i guess people feed them with bread and these carps will take bread all the time. A bread fly might work but i don't have suitable material to do that.

Here, in Turkey most of the rivers are corrupted so badly. So, fly fishing is not practiced easily. Lakes are deep and it's so hard to catch fish in a lake without a boat. I had luck to catch these coarse fishes because there was no wind and water was so clear. I could cast it to where fish were. Dang, i hate it here in Turkey. I say that in all of my posts, but i am tired of not having any good fishing here. I will move to the USA as soon as i got 5 million bucks in my bank account and die happy there... Do you mind me crying?

I understand what you saying about gape. I have tied only 2-3 flies so far. So i am a little unexperienced. I hope i will get better in time.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by querorz View Post
Thank you all guys so much. ia_trouter, gregnash, buddhist_palm, mecnerney,random user, i appreciate it. I am shocked of seeing how generous you are to share your knowledge with foreigners every single time i ask you guys something.

I am from Turkey. We have no fly fishing here. It's is a miracle that i even caught some fishes with fly.

I catch coarse fishes with nymphes. This is an American forum, so you don't know some of these species: Rudd, Roach or fishes like shiners. Small species. These fishes are easy to catch with fly. So i target them. There is no trout, salmon or other predator species around.

We have pike but lakes are so weedy and my 5-6# rod is not suitable for big flies. There is a river with carps in it and water level is pretty shallow too. I might try to catch carp with fly. In this river i guess people feed them with bread and these carps will take bread all the time. A bread fly might work but i don't have suitable material to do that.

Here, in Turkey most of the rivers are corrupted so badly. So, fly fishing is not practiced easily. Lakes are deep and it's so hard to catch fish in a lake without a boat. I had luck to catch these coarse fishes because there was no wind and water was so clear. I could cast it to where fish were. Dang, i hate it here in Turkey. I say that in all of my posts, but i am tired of not having any good fishing here. I will move to the USA as soon as i got 5 million bucks in my bank account and die happy there... Do you mind me crying?

I understand what you saying about gape. I have tied only 2-3 flies so far. So i am a little unexperienced. I hope i will get better in time.
I'm sure in the past you've seen those foam brushes that are used to clean your dishes... Find a yellow one... Cut out a chunk of foam... Take a brown marker and color one end... That's the crust... Put it on a hook... Now you got a bread fly. Also carp will take all kinds of other flies... Nymphs... Buggers... Etc. So don't feel you need a bread fly to catch a carp.

Also for deep water try fishing at dawn and dusk or even at night if it allows... This'll increase your chances of catching fish that retreat to the safer deeper water during the day... But come in shallow in low light conditions to feed.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by querorz View Post
Don't feel like you are alone, we all make the same mistakes when first starting to learn to tie flies, too much material and crowding the eye of the hook are pretty much the mistakes we all make. Just something to think about when tying and trying to avoid.

Glad to have you fly fishing and participating on the forum and best of luck with your tying and going after Carp, they can be quite the challenge but well worth the effort to figure out how to catch on a fly rod.

Larry

Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

we as anglers have to make the best of the areas we live when we go fishing

turkey doesnt seem like the fly fishing mecca of the world but maybe your just a pioneer

carp are great fun on the fly and maybe you should explore these further

they will take all sorts of nymphs and simple flies as well as
"bread" imitations