The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

Very nicely done and thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort to photograph that for us all. Do you ever just use a small hook like a Gamakatsu egg type in size 6 - 8 and trail them on a strip. I like the look of the finished fly but have gotten away from the larger / longer shanked hooks. I thread them through a strip and tie only on the shanks.

I really like your finished product and am quite sure they work very well for you.

Thanks again,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

That sure looks like a beast of a fly to me!!!!! Great look!!!! Great Fly!!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM

fishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Very nicely done and thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort to photograph that for us all. Do you ever just use a small hook like a Gamakatsu egg type in size 6 - 8 and trail them on a strip. I like the look of the finished fly but have gotten away from the larger / longer shanked hooks. I thread them through a strip and tie only on the shanks.

I really like your finished product and am quite sure they work very well for you.

Thanks again,

Ard
Actually what I normally use is the Gamakatsu egg type hook but I ran out!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

nice easy to tie flies. thanks for sharing.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

This is GREAT!

AND a great excuse for me to try some new materials; fish skulls and articulated shanks.

Thanks for doing this fishtooth!

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM

fishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
This is GREAT!

AND a great excuse for me to try some new materials; fish skulls and articulated shanks.

Thanks for doing this fishtooth!

King Joe Outa Here!
Thanks and no problem.

I starting using the shanks last year, same with the skulpin heads. I still like the more traditional style flys but the heads are nice for getting the fly down FAST and give it a nice look.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

NICE, such a DIRTY pattern!!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtooth View Post
Thanks and no problem.

I starting using the shanks last year, same with the skulpin heads. I still like the more traditional style flys but the heads are nice for getting the fly down FAST and give it a nice look.
Ditto here; 2013 was my first season with this style fly and I can tell you the trout love them here. I now have enough to make it into the 2015 season without having to make any.

Very well done, did I say that

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I did a couple flies like this today with a gold and red holographic flash tail and alternating red and yellow cc strips... Minus the helmet... They are definitely gonna take some pike.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice. Thank you for the SBS.
I've never used the "sculpin heads" so didn't know they went-on over the eye of the hook.
I'm very interested in tying some since a guy near me on the river landed a large Brown that spit up about a 4" sculpin. The wierd thing is it was all white.