The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

Hi Jimmie,

Probably was down the gullet for a while, I've not seen white Sculpin before. If you get into making these you may find that you'll want a substantial leader for them. I use the following sizes to build a tapered leader.

50 - 40 - 35 - 30 - 25 - 20 - 15 - 12

The know from 50 to 40 I use a double surgeon, all the rest blood knots. I make the first 2 sections 22" and then scale the others to give the length I want allowing for either a 15 or 12 pound tip of 16" or so.

You can skip the 50 and start off with 40 for use with a 9' 7 weight or similar.

No need to worry about turn over with the heavy butt and the weight of the fly the leader will flip over for you.

Ard
mcnerney and Jimmie like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

So this whole white sculpin thing...

http://www.thisisflydaily.com/archives/3841
Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Great fly! I love anything with wabbit! I'm curious about the orientation of the fly. There was some talk about building it hook up or hook down. How does the fly know up or down? For example, a clousers orientation is defined by the side of the hook the eyes are on. Does the fish skull offset the weight of the fly causing to to swim upright?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I fish with this type fly Jay and they tend to stay flat headed in the water. I use a slip loop knot to connect them and they swing with the eyes up as far as I can tell by watching them. if you tie the hook as a trailing type you just have to play with the connection to see which way to make the loop so the hook point is up. Some of mine are up and some down, both hook the fish and you miss very few.

Ard
kglissmeyer1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-04-2014, 02:46 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

For those who have fished articulated streamers with multiple hooks vs a single stinger hook, have you noticed fewer hookups with the single hook design? Only reason I ask is because I've heard Kelly Galloup talk about all predator fish shallowing their spiney prey headfirst.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
For those who have fished articulated streamers with multiple hooks vs a single stinger hook, have you noticed fewer hookups with the single hook design? Only reason I ask is because I've heard Kelly Galloup talk about all predator fish shallowing their spiney prey headfirst.
I've read just that in many places and it is probably so. That said, predator fish are opportunistic and I have caught hundreds of fish on side strikes and occasionally tail strikes (using large bucktail spinners which is basically a streamer for casting gear). All but the largest of streamers will be totally engulfed when a predator is serious about feeding. I don't think you will note a huge difference in hookup % with one or two hooks. I've had a lot more problems hooking up LM bass. Not unusual to have a much higher % of them on trailer hooks when all they would do otherwise is tease you with short tail strikes.