The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM

fishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the rough
Default Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

I have overwhelming requests to post a sbs for this pattern. It is not very hard and these are fairly new products ( the heads and shanks).
I did not have a crazy amount of time today to spend on it but I hope what I did helps and if anyone has questions feel free to post or pm me.

I used 2 body colors for the step by step so it is easier to coordinate what I am doing through pictures for the viewers.

-Materials
Click the image to open in full size.

-I ran out of the stinger hooks I normally use so I used the next best hook I had for the job. Use whatever you like.

-Click the image to open in full size.

-Choose a nice piece of rabbit, I prefer crosscut

-Cut the tip of the rabbit to a point so it does not leave a big bulge after tying in

-Start wrapping the material forward, pull the hair back after every wrap so it does not become trapped leaving bald spots on the fly. I also overlap each wrap to build a nice full body.
-NOTE: After you tie a few I suggest using superglue on the shank of the hook before wrapping the rabbit forward. It secures the body and makes the fly more durable.

-Tie the material off and head cement/glue the head

-Attach the second shank

-Tie in the second piece of rabbit (Like I said, I am only using 2 colors for step by step purposes but 2 color combos can make some great flys with this pattern)

-Wrap it forward and tie it off

-I like tying in some red cheeks, looks good and the fish dont complain whatsoever lol. I use rabbit for this as well

-Trim the red rabbit and tie it down, then tie in a few strands of crystal flash/rainbow flash/any kind of flash that you feel suites the pattern.

-Make sure everything is tied down, whip finish and glue the head
NOTE: I recommend super glue

-Push the Sculpin Head on, Remember, I use superglue before sliding the head on as it helps secure the head and they are to expensive to lose.
-Then in front of the Sculpin head build a little bit of thread off so if the head were to come loose it would not fall off.

-Once the sculpin head is on I add the eyes then coat the whole head in my "Rock Hard" varnish as it secures the eyes and gives the head a nice slick look.

Hope this is enough to help everyone out.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

great job
fishtooth likes this.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Nice job.

I've seen it both ways, just thought I'd throw it out there for whoever ties this, but tying it hook up helps avoid hang ups since sculpins are down on the bottom.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 PM

fishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the roughfishtooth is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Nice job.

I've seen it both ways, just thought I'd throw it out there for whoever ties this, but tying it hook up helps avoid hang ups since sculpins are down on the bottom.
In creeks and rivers I tie it hook up....In the lakes I use this pattern in, are all marl bottom so it doesn't really matter up or down.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fishtooth: Thanks for sharing the SBS, nice job indeed!

Larry
fishtooth likes this.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for posting, I'll put this one on my to do list for sure. What's the total length on your fly?
fishtooth likes this.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Thanks for posting, I'll put this one on my to do list for sure. What's the total length on your fly?
This pattern is 4" in length. Some I have longer, some shorter
Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good job...Thank you for sharing.

Dave
fishtooth likes this.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtooth View Post
This pattern is 4" in length. Some I have longer, some shorter
Thanks, new at this and when I buy the bodies it isn't obvious what I will end up with. 4" is about perfect for my needs.
fishtooth likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent SBS.Thanks for sharing
fishtooth likes this.