The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By calftail
  • 1 Post By lv2nymph
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default The Swimming Nymph

Bob Clouser set a standard with the "Clouser" baitfish imitation.

Another of his great flies is the swimming nymph. Think crawdads...............

My take...Click the image to open in full size.

Recipe....
Thread..orange
Hook.. #6 Eagle Claw A057 or similar
Tail..Long fibers with guard hairs dyed burnt orange from a hare's mask + two strands of gold/silver mylar tinsel
Body..Burnt orange underfur from the hare's mask
Thorax.. A good clump of peacock herl pulled over an underbody of burnt orange dubbing palmered with a brown furnace hackle
Head..One or two turns of orange slappen hackle, then a turn or two of peacock herl and a tapered head of orange thread

Tail = hook length
Tinsel= 75% of tail
Body= 1/2 shank
Thorax + head = 1/2 shank
Hackle= 2 hook gaps

Last edited by calftail; 02-02-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added recipe
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Swimming Nymph

Jeezus calftail you are tying up some killer Maine brook trout patterns ...
We gotta talk !

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

One fresh 2 pound lobster for a doz brudda.... 3 x 4..
Old 03-22-2014, 04:46 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Bob Clouser set a standard with the "Clouser" baitfish imitation.

Another of his great flies is the swimming nymph. Think crawdads...............

My take...Click the image to open in full size.

Recipe....
Thread..orange
Hook.. #6 Eagle Claw A057 or similar
Tail..Long fibers with guard hairs dyed burnt orange from a hare's mask + two strands of gold/silver mylar tinsel
Body..Burnt orange underfur from the hare's mask
Thorax.. A good clump of peacock herl pulled over an underbody of burnt orange dubbing palmered with a brown furnace hackle
Head..One or two turns of orange slappen hackle, then a turn or two of peacock herl and a tapered head of orange thread

Tail = hook length
Tinsel= 75% of tail
Body= 1/2 shank
Thorax + head = 1/2 shank
Hackle= 2 hook gaps
add an orange bead to the head...its its gold baby, GOLD! (I gotta do something about this beadhead addiction).

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:04 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

I really like those Clouser Swimming nymphs. They are really buggy looking and suggestive of any number of food items for bass or trout. I've tied them for quite a few years and use them for bass and trout.

This nymph style with a long, soft tail works well in other colors to imitate wiggly, swimming nymphs like Isonychia or even BWOs in small sizes. The "tail" of the fly is really imitating the wiggly abdomen as well as the tail. Marabou or a clump of rabbit fur (cut from the hide or from a zonker strip) both work well.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
Jeezus calftail you are tying up some killer Maine brook trout patterns ...
We gotta talk !

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

One fresh 2 pound lobster for a doz brudda.... 3 x 4..

RC...

Thanks for all the praise !

.....but the flies are not for sale or barter. I do this fly fishing and tying strictly as a hobby ; if we were to meet on the stream I'd open my fly box and let you go at it no charge.

Fish well brudda .
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Understood !

If I had some time I would be trying to copy a few of the flies you have posted. Still might give it a go.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

I can see a crawdad there Calf, nice tie.
calftail likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Real nice tying, real nice
calftail likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
I can see a crawdad there Calf, nice tie.
Your right! It's amazing to me how we can glob some fur and feather to a hook and the result after it gets wet and is fishing looks surprisingly like some fish food.

Bob Clouser did a good job with this fly. Guy get's some credit from me that's for sure.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Calftail: Wow, that is an amazing nymph pattern, thanks for sharing and inclucing the receipe!

Larry