The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Easy Pike Fly

Here's a little SBS I cooked up of a pattern I saw a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how the original guy tied it so you're stuck with my way.

Hooks: Gamakatsu SC15-2H or similar
Thread: Danville 210 - Hot Orange or Red
Layers (in order): Bucktail, SF Flash Blend - Yellow, SF Flash Blend - Chartreuse, Wing & Flash - Kelly Green, Marabou - Orange
Eyes: Any 3d eyes will work
Head: UV Epoxy

You'll notice I didn't use the recommended hook for this fly. It's because I ran out and haven't reordered any hooks lately. I was bored, suffering extreme bouts of cabin fever, and this was a good way to kill time.

Step 1: Start Thread

Click the image to open in full size.

Step 2: Lay down small clump of orange bucktail. Tie the bucktail down so that it is all on the top of the hook shank. To achieve this, start with two loose wraps, and work your way forward, tightening down as you go.

Step 3: Take a medium sized clump of yellow SF Flash Blend. Tie it down so that one end of the fibers sticks out slightly longer than the bucktail.

Step 4: Fold over the other half of the yellow flash blend and build a small dam of thread up in front of the fibers. Note: Do not tie over the fibers, building a small taper in front of the fibers will ensure than the fibers stay flared up, allowing the fibers to move better in the water.

Hold up sportsfans, gotta grab the copic airbrush.

Now it's yellow

Step 5: Grab the a slightly smaller clump of chartreuse SF Flash Blend. Cut the Clump in half once.

Now take one of the half clumps, and cut it in half again.

We're going to reverse, or hollow tie these fibers. Take the two short clumps of fibers and tie them in on each side of the hook shank so that the fibers are facing forward. After that is done, tie the longer clump onto the top of the hook shank, also with the fibers facing the front of the hook.

Step 6: Find a pen or use your fingers to push the fibers back over the side and top of the hook shank. You want the majority of the fibers to be pushed over the top of the yellow flash blend. Build a thread dam in front of these fibers just as you did with the yellow flash blend.

Step 7. Grab a small clump of kelly green Wing and Flash to tie on top of the chartreuse. Tie the Wing and Flash over the top of the chartreuse Flash Blend. This time, tie back over the fibers with two or three thread wraps, to insure that the wing and flash doesn't move around the SF flash blend.

Step 9: Tie in clump of marabou on the bottom half of the hook shank. This merely adds a little extra movement.

Step 10: Whip finish fly

Step 11: Add 3d eyes to the fly

Step 12: Add Clear Cure Goo epoxy or something similar to the head of the fly. then blast it with the UV light.

All done!

Last edited by ted4887; 02-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Easy Pike Fly

Bumping this to the top because it is an awesome tie. That, and it will make it easier to find as I am going to attempt it with what I have on hand tonight. It's worth ordering the right stuff to do it proper though. And this is much more than "just a pike fly" IMO. If I were only allowed a few new flies to try this year, it would be in my box.
ted4887 likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Bumping this to the top because it is an awesome tie. That, and it will make it easier to find as I am going to attempt it with what I have on hand tonight. It's worth ordering the right stuff to do it proper though. And this is much more than "just a pike fly" IMO. If I were only allowed a few new flies to try this year, it would be in my box.
Definitely a pattern for a short shanked hook, I'll try this one again myself once I get some more hooks in. Mine looks more like a long nose gar lol
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Trust me and try it on a #6 Allen bass hook I sent you. I promise the pike don't care at all if the hook is 1/4 inch too long. I just did it and it worked fine for a first tie. If you still have the Congo hair colors you will be surprised how close it will work. If you have a med dark green marker, you can get even closer. Kelly green really stands out nice on Ted's fly.

Do you have any orange bucktail left Craig? If not, buy 25 cents worth of kool-aid and you will.
ted4887 likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Trust me and try it on a #6 Allen bass hook I sent you. I promise the pike don't care at all if the hook is 1/4 inch too long. I just did it and it worked fine for a first tie. If you still have the Congo hair colors you will be surprised how close it will work. If you have a med dark green marker, you can get even closer. Kelly green really stands out nice on Ted's fly.

Do you have any orange bucktail left Craig? If not, buy 25 cents worth of kool-aid and you will.
I'll take pics of mine tomorrow I did tie it on that Allen bass hook, though I may scrap it and try again first. I do the congo hair worked great. and yep have some orange left to try again.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Here's a cheap imitation of it. I can see the differences/mistakes and most should be easy to correct with some practice. It's not as thick as it looks in PIC, but not quite sparse enough yet for sure.

ted4887 and craigthor like this.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM

Looks about like mine.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Looks about like mine.
Nope, until you post it up, yours isn't quite as good lol. I expect to see it up when I get back from work. I need to get some Kelly green. It sets it off much better than chartreus IMO.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Like I said this would look better on an intruder type hook.

ted4887 likes this.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Like I said this would look better on an intruder type hook.
I agree that it would. It's too hard to fill up the long hook without using too many pieces of hair. I just wanted to tie up a few now. I combed and trimmed a few back like they will actually look in the water. Looks real nice in my flybox. They don't all have to be show ties. This fly has everyone of my most successful pike colors. It will catch fish, and my 6 weight will like them.
craigthor likes this.