The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Big Bad Stonefly

"Jacklin's Salmonfly" on the left......

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Really nice ties, ct. As usual, I should add. I like them both and am excited to get that Jacklin's for the swap. I really like the nymph too, basic enough but with the attention to detail that makes it stand out. I've tied a variety of salmonfly nymphs that are similar to this one, but not as nice. Seems like every year about this time I start making up more nymphs and dries for the early stones, I am constantly morphing with different materials when ever I get bored. I do not have a single salmonfly pattern that I "go to," it seems like fishing the hatch is so hit or miss and timing is everything.

But this does make me want to do a salmonfly (stonefly) swap, nymph or dry. I wonder if there would be enough interest if it started after the deer hair swap, so end of March. It would kind of be a specialty swap as not everyone is near a hatch of this things, it could be a small group.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
it seems like fishing the hatch is so hit or miss and timing is everything.
I think you are so right and gave up with the dream of hitting it years ago. We used to have a pretty good hatch on the Colorado River but with all those bugs everywhere the fishing was disappointing to say the least.

I look at it this way too, the stoneflys are available to the fish all the time and with that I have fished them whenever I'm in the right water with good results even though it wasn't their time to be hatching.

Jacklin's Salmonfly just looks so buggy to me I'm putting it in my box and will fish it with some confidence this coming year. We'll see what happens.

Stonefly swap would be a good idea....everybody likes to tie the big flies ! Most rivers have stoneflies in one form or another all across the country. Even if they don''t the flies are buggy enough to represent other food fish eat.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I have had some pretty disappointing days tossing salmonflies with no fish taking them. I've been out when the naturals were all over the place, good water conditions and no fish anywhere. You have to have the time to fish the hatch for a week because it is truly day to day. With 5 days in a row I think I could hit one or two really good days...maybe. And there are just so many people on the rivers that it exacerbates the frustration. I no longer anticipate salmonfly time.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

A nice Big Fly unfortunately we don't get The Stone Fly Hatches I'll just have to turn up in The States one year they are on as I have great fun catching Browns & Rainbows when The Beetles are around & can only imagine what it would be like to use & catch Fish on one of these Flies also even though our Winters aren't as Cold or as Long as in The States The Cold Weather can be Cruel.
Brian
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Nice looking stones, really like the thorax coloration. Nice job.