The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Stevens White Ghost, Tied in hand

This pattern is virtually identical to the Gray Ghost, except, obviously, the wing is white. The pattern in Hilyard lists a white hackle throat, yet the pattern for the gray ghost does not have this throat. It has been discovered lately though that the gray ghost should probably have a white hackle throat also.

The fly was tied entirely in hand, using only gossamer silk thread, scissors and wax.
The wing was pre-formed, i.e. stuck together with adhesive, just as Carrie Stevens did.
In the past I tied all my streamers with the wing components individually mounted, and i'm not sure how i feel about using adhesives to for the wing, but in the interests of tying an accurate fly, particularly in hand, i went the former route.

Such a difference to have a silver pheasant skin from with to select the shoulder feathers....the strung stuff just doesnt measure up. For comparison, i've added a photo of the Gray Ghost i tied in hand a couple weeks ago, and you can clearly see the difference in the shoulders. This fly will get a new wing. The hackles on both flies are different shapes, just a consequence of the saddles (Whiting American) and my selection process to match the side of the shoulder with nice wing hackles
One other thing i did on the White Ghost was to counter wrap the rib as i learned that Carrie Stevens tied her flies that way.

Thanks for looking.

Eunan

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Stevens White Ghost, Tied in hand

Now that's something you don't see every day!

This has to be the best tying you've done Eunan, I have made salmon flies without the vise and I think that because of the type hook and the difference in proportioning between a rather compact salmon type fly and a Rangely Style Streamer, a streamer would be more difficult. I have never even thought of trying what you have done so well here. Tell me, is it easier to set the wings properly because of being able to hold them and the hook while you bind them in? I'm thinking that it would because of the fact that the hook is not in a vise and your ability to articulate it (the hook) and thread during the binding wraps would make a perfect wing set more likely.

The wing on this fly is about as good as it gets. I have no doubt that the fly will ride straight and swim just as it should.

Bravo on this tie!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Spectacular work, congrats!

Larry

Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 PM
mridenour

Eunan,
You are master craftsman! Beautiful and amazing tie. Thanks for you work and sharing with us how it is supposed to be done.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Thanks guys.

Ard

It is somewhat easier for the reasons you describe - you can rotate the hook and wing together - even with a rotary vise, that is very difficult with only two hands.
As for the difficulty, smaller flies are actually easier..the size 7 winged wets i did in hand and posted couple weeks ago were a breeze. The limitations of finger length come into play on the bigger hooks, though you can choose where you hold the fly as you progress from butt to head.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Eunan,
SWEET!! You are definitely a master at your craft. I really enjoy seeing your work. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Eunan again some Nice Flies & a very difficult Task & The Quality is Really Great however I can't ever see myself Tying this way because if any of my mates saw me Tying Flies in The Hand They would ask If I'd gone Loco also with my Old Hands it would be Impossible.
Using Gossamer Silk makes the job even harder.
Keep up The Good Work
Brian
Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan, it is always a pleasure to see your skills on the forum, thank you for sharing with us.

Dave
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Very nicely done.......
I had done a silver parsons like this it's actually quite fun.and you don't really see how much you hold the fly until you do it in hand.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD