The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Dr. Burke

First for those that don't know, Dr Burke painted all the oils for the "plates" in Ray Bergman's classic book "Trout".

The way I understand it Dr. Burke was chief resident for the maternity ward at Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital in Jersey City, the place where I was born in the late forties! I always thought secretly to myself the Dr. passed by the ward beds and stopped at mom's bed and whispered to me while I was tucked in her arms "Good luck, your gonna be a fly fisher".

The pattern I tied goes:
Hook..Eagle Claw 057 #8
Thread..black Danville 6/0
Tail..peacock sword
Body..flat silver tinsel ribbed with silver oval tinsel
Hackle..yellow hen
Wing..white goose quill, with JC eyes

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dr. Burke

Gorgeous work, congrats!

Larry

Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Nice. You should check out the Dr Burke streamer too

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Splendid job on this old wet fly CT. The best thing about winter is that it revives many old & almost forgotten patterns for us.

thanks for that one,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Thanks all for the compliments. Twas kinda a nostalgic fly from my point of view and since I had the materials decided to give it a spin.

.....and Eunan, I did check out the Dr. Burke streamer and also the "Family Secret". There is just something that doesn't fit my eye when he recommends that much sword for the tail. I also recall he had some different ideas for the dry fly....pushing all the materials and hackle away from the eye. Dr Burke should have wrote a book for us but it sounds like he was a pretty busy guy.

....and Ard, hope you get some time off from your chores to spin us up an oldie and goodie or two.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:01 PM

gzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of light

NICE!!! Great looking fly. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM

aggroman is on a distinguished road

That's awesome.