The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By calftail
  • 1 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Assam Dragon

My take inspired by the Assam Dragon tied by Charles Brooks. He listed seal for the body strip, no gotta, so I used beaver.

Hook..#6 sproat
Thread..black 6/0 danville
Body..1/8th" strip of beaver left on the hide and wound with touching turns (use any fur you have on the hide)
Hackle..black schlappen from a brown saddle
Head..peacock herl

Beside imitating a dragonfly nymph also would make a pretty good mouse.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assam Dragon

Wow, that is an awesome looking fly, I'm going to have to tie up a few.

Larry

Larry
Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Snow day in Denver, so..... I morphed the pattern again. Brooks in the background on the cover of "The Trout and The Stream"...

Getting into sculpin territory with this tie. BTW, CB had quite a bibliography in his books, well read he was, and he listed his favorites. I'm gonna guess, he read like 2,000 books on trout fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It's also a very Good Mudeye Pattern, a Mudeye is The Dragon Fly Nymph however I find The Herl gets chopped around after it has caught a couple of Fish.
I Tie a Fly Similar with Rabbit Fur & a Dubbed Head & find it's better Tied on A # 8 Grub Hook.
Brian
Old 03-07-2014, 04:48 PM

...."however I find The Herl gets chopped around after it has caught a couple of Fish."

Brian, good point! There are ways to make the heads more durable,like wrapping thread through the herl or a good base of head cement before wrapping the herl.

Anyways..I usually carry half a dozen of the same fly patterns in my fishing flybox and if I caught only two per fly I'd be a happy fisherman.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice work once more, you have put up some really nice fishy patterns this winter. That should catch almost any game fish I know of.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nice work once more, you have put up some really nice fishy patterns this winter. That should catch almost any game fish I know of.
Thanks Ard..
This fly fishin' is cool. I enjoy it all. Fly tying, rod fixing, making stuff, tackle talk, biology and entomology, casting, history et all. Like you, I'm not a one horse pony. I don't know how I've kept up my interest this far but you know it happens.....at least to some of us.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've said on occasion that it (fly fishing) is the only thing in life that has been a constant. I have never slacked, I unknowingly set a course in life that was designed to allow me to do this. I'm not the greatest fisherman there ever was, probably wouldn't rank in all that but I've spent my life doing it

This whole winter is about getting ready to do it as soon as the ice goes out. More classes, more regional permits, more boats, and even a couple new outfitter rods for other folks to use. There are just enough days between working with visitors to allow me to slip away to someplace where I won't see any other people and may find some fish.

I've spent the time at home this winter like you, tying hordes of flies. Some I'll use and the rest to give to others if they'll trust my judgment on fly choice. I have a new rod to get used to when the ice goes too so it'll be a regular holiday when I can see running water again. For now all those rivers are the ice roads and I have more trips out to the cabin to make while we still have a winter trail. I don't know if I ever have said it where you read it but the trip is 75 miles one way so it makes for 2 full days just getting there and back.

I hope you catch some beauties on those flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;