The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 PM

Nearenuf is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for Cinder Worm Pattern

I am looking for a proven cinder worm pattern.

I have a trip planned to the Vineyard in June and I want to be prepared.

Thank-you

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Looking for Cinder Worm Pattern

Sometimes they will bite one pattern and ignore another. Your best bet is just to wait until you get there, then go to Coop's or Larry's Tackle Shop, ask them whether the hatch is on, in which pond, and what's working.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Cinder Worm Pattern

I don't know about the Vineyard, but in southern NewEngland the "worm hatch" is essentially over by June. There's ponds where there's a monthly hatch throughout the season, but for the most part it all happens in May.

I carry 4 different patterns myself. One has a spun deerhair head and a marabou tail, one is kind of a cactus chenille woolybugger, one tyed gurgler style, and forth is an appropriately colored snake fly.

I saw this nice one in last week's Midcurrent email but like moucheur said , they don't always go for the same patterns.
I think that that has to do more with their erratic "mating dance" than anything else.
How to Tie a Cinder Worm | MidCurrent

If you're interested, they have a "cinderworm workshop" at the Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge in Rhode Island every year.

Well what do you know!? Here's the press release, hot off the presses
https://www.fws.gov/ninigret/pdf/Cin...hop%202014.pdf