The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pitcher

I'm starting to get obsessed with this fly....Happen to you ? I tied a big one and I'm really thinking about a hairwing version. Stay tuned.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Real nice job dressing that pattern to a unique hook!

Ard

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
I'm starting to get obsessed with this fly....Happen to you ? I tied a big one and I'm really thinking about a hairwing version. Stay tuned.

Yes,

When I find something that either strikes a note because I like the look artistically....... or I take a look and know it's going to be a catcher I tie a bunch in several variations
rockthief likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Obsession with a pattern has happened to me but not very often. I like what you're turning out there good stuff.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:31 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

A hairwing version............

rockthief and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

You know what I've figured out? That's a really nice looking pattern tied several different ways and you're a very good tier Calf.

Last edited by lv2nymph; 04-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

calftail, been looking on how t tie this, can ya help out? thanks

outlaw
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

Does it look like a bait fish when under water or fished?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw45 View Post
calftail, been looking on how t tie this, can ya help out? thanks

outlaw
OL45....

Sproat hook sz 4,6,8
Black 6/0 thread
Tip...fine gold round tinsel or silver
Body..40% yellow floss 60% red floss...with a double brown hackle palmer rib
Wing ..white goose quill with a blue strip or blue and white calf tail for the hairwing
Hackle collar..brown hackle

1.Start your thread in the middle of the shank and move it forward toward the eye to about the 75% point and attach your fine oval tinsel then run your thread in tight turns securing the tinsel to the far side of the hook to a point midway between the barb and the point of the hook. Move your thread eyeward a few turns and then make 5 tight touching turns of the tinsel. Secure the tinsel at this point with 3 or 4 very tight turns and cut the tinsel leaving about half a shank worth. With your fingernails pinch the tinsel at the tie in point and strip the tinsel off the core. Run a nice smooth thread base to tidy up the underbody back up to your 75% point. You have made a tag which will provisde a bump or dam to prevent the floss from running off the end of the hook as it it being fished.

2.Find two brown hackles with barbs about a shank length, for these flies I used saddle hackle. Stroke the barbs back from the tips so the barbs stand out 90 deg. from the stem and attach both the tips, dull side to you, at your 75% point on the far side of the hook and work your thread back to your tag in nice even turns so that you secure the hackles at the tag with the barbs sticking out at 90 degrees. Trim the excess hackle tips and run your thread back up to the 75% point.

You should have your tag and the two hackles to be palmered over the body and the thread hanging at the 75% point. Note !!! that there is no material for at least two eye lengths from the back of the eye. You will need this space to properly mount the wing and a collar. If you crowd this space you'll have a mess to deal with.

3.Your ready for the body. I use 4 strand floss. Cut two strands of yellow about 10 inches long and attach it about mid-shank trimming the excess at the tie-in point. Hold the floss out and stroke it as flat as you can manage and start to wrap toward the eye to the 75% point and then reverse the wraps heading to the end of the body at the tag. Reverse again making a nice smooth taper back to the 75% point. Tie off the floss and trim the excess. You should have a yellow body with a nice taper.

Select two strands of red floss about 10 inches long and secure it at about the 60% point and trim the excess floss and let your tying thread hang at the 75% point. Stroke your red floss flat and make a few turns toward the eye and then cover 60 % of the yellow body with the red floss going rearward and then taper the red floss back over itself toward the eye to a point about 2 1/2 eye lengths. Secure and trim the floss. The floss body should be 40% yellow and 60% red with no humps and bumps.

4.Wet your fingers and double both of the saddle hackle at the same time to palmer the body. You will be wrapping the hackle together for a nice full body hackle. Wrap 5 even turns keeping the two stems tight to each other with the barbs brushed back. Tie off and trim the hackle.

5. You are ready to wing the fly.

For the Quill wing match two white slips from a right feather and a left feather 60% of the hook gap and hold them to be secured with the tips of the wing extending just beyond the end of the hook. The slips should face each other like this..( ) not like... ) (. Use the pinch technique and tie on the white slips.

Next you will have to tie on the blue side strips. Take 3 fibers from each goose quill and in my case I used a blue magic marker to dye them and mount them with the tip short of the end of the white wing, one side at a time. Tightly pinch the wing in place and make 4 or 5 very tight turns of thread. Trim the wing butts on a taper. Re-pinch the wing and cover the trimmed quill ends with tight turns of thread.

6.Select a brown hackle 1 1/2 to 2 times the hook gap and tie the butt end at the wing with the shinny side toward the eye. Wet your fingers and stroke the barbs back doubling the hackle and wind a few turns to within an eye length of the eye, tie off and trim the excess hackle. Hold everything back with your finger and make a nice neat head and whip finish and lacquer the head with nail polish or your favorite head cement.

For the hairwing version the wing is the only thing different. I used white calf tail and broke out part of the tail and dyed with a blue marker and set the clolor with some hot water with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar. The proportion for the finished wing is about 40% blue and 60% white. I attach the blue calf tail clump first extending the tip of the wing about a hook gap past the end of the hook. Then a clump of white over the blue trying to keep them separate. Lacquer the trimmed wing butts or they will pull out after the fly is in use.

Finish the fly like the quill wing version.

Note....if you want the sweeping hackle look, take your index finger and thumb and pinch the hackle down back hard to the hook shank as opposed to too much stroking. Hard stroking can upset the even palmered body hackle and can move the floss.

Helps you or no?

ct

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
Does it look like a bait fish when under water or fished?
Here are the flies in a bowl of water. The colors become subdued and there is a hint of life here and there. What the trout see's is up for grabs. I dunno.

I'm sure it is every bit as good as the Royal Coachman. If it moved or darted in the water I'd take notice and prolly chase it for a taste.

rockthief and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

ct, thanks for the tutor on this, it helps. I didn't see the flies in the water though. ok, they just came up. very nice. thanks.
Outlaw45

Last edited by outlaw45; 04-17-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add on
Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw45 View Post
ct, thanks for the tutor on this, it helps. I didn't see the flies in the water though.
Outlaw45
First post I forgot to get the pics in....you guys are challenging the ole man. I did recover and added them to an edit .