The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Share Patterns (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/)
-   -   Pitcher (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/348206-pitcher.html)

calftail 04-04-2014 05:15 PM

Pitcher
 
Bob was always a kinda classical type guy. Bob sez..."You heard of the "Pitcher" ". Geez... was my answer.

Major Pitcher was a park super up in Yellowstone about 1902, the namesake of this fly.......

Sproat hook
Black 6/0 thread
Tip...fine gold round tinsel
Body..40% yellow floss 60% red floss...with a double brown hackle palmer rib
Wing ..white goose quill with a blue strip
Hackle collar..brown hackle


http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps7533046b.jpg

bigjim5589 04-04-2014 05:35 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Handsome fly! Is that hook teflon coated?

tail of the pool 04-04-2014 05:40 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
My oh my wish I could have hit like 100 X

Because I Like

calftail 04-04-2014 05:54 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjim5589 (Post 655131)
Handsome fly! Is that hook teflon coated?

Jim..a few years back I hit a deal for Eagle Claw hooks on ebay. I bought about 3000 hooks for $40 bucks. Yes they are Nickel-Teflon coated. I really like the contrast they can give to the tinsels as opposed to the bright gold finishes on some of the hooks available. Good hooks too !

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tail of the pool (Post 655133)
My oh my wish I could have hit like 100 X

Because I Like

Thanks TOP.

lv2nymph 04-04-2014 05:59 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
That's a nice looking fly Calf. What size is the hook?

calftail 04-04-2014 06:11 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lv2nymph (Post 655138)
That's a nice looking fly Calf. What size is the hook?

It's an #8. I screwed up the last of the hackle collar and should have tightened up the hackle wrap. I'll do better next one.

Fun to tie ! Believe it or not it was the killer fly in Yellowstone country for a time. (before my time).;)

mcnerney 04-04-2014 06:19 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Awesome looking pattern, congrats!

Larry

lv2nymph 04-04-2014 07:03 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calftail (Post 655141)
It's an #8. I screwed up the last of the hackle collar and should have tightened up the hackle wrap. I'll do better next one.

Fun to tie ! Believe it or not it was the killer fly in Yellowstone country for a time. (before my time).;)

It looks like one more wrap of hackle there and you'd never know it. We are our own worst critic aren't we? ;]

calftail 04-04-2014 07:39 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lv2nymph (Post 655148)
It looks like one more wrap of hackle there and you'd never know it. We are our own worst critic aren't we? ;]

Satisfaction is like an exhaled breath. I like the fact that there is more hill to climb or this fly fishing would bore me to death. Keeps me going.

lv2nymph 04-04-2014 08:00 PM

Re: Pitcher
 
Agreed, we'll never know it all. The moment a man ( or woman ) thinks they do, they stop learning.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.