The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 05:15 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Pitcher

Bob was always a kinda classical type guy. Bob sez..."You heard of the "Pitcher" ". Geez... was my answer.

Major Pitcher was a park super up in Yellowstone about 1902, the namesake of this fly.......

Sproat hook
Black 6/0 thread
Tip...fine gold round tinsel
Body..40% yellow floss 60% red floss...with a double brown hackle palmer rib
Wing ..white goose quill with a blue strip
Hackle collar..brown hackle

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pitcher

Handsome fly! Is that hook teflon coated?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:40 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

My oh my wish I could have hit like 100 X

Because I Like
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Handsome fly! Is that hook teflon coated?
Jim..a few years back I hit a deal for Eagle Claw hooks on ebay. I bought about 3000 hooks for $40 bucks. Yes they are Nickel-Teflon coated. I really like the contrast they can give to the tinsels as opposed to the bright gold finishes on some of the hooks available. Good hooks too !

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail of the pool View Post
My oh my wish I could have hit like 100 X

Because I Like
Thanks TOP.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

That's a nice looking fly Calf. What size is the hook?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
That's a nice looking fly Calf. What size is the hook?
It's an #8. I screwed up the last of the hackle collar and should have tightened up the hackle wrap. I'll do better next one.

Fun to tie ! Believe it or not it was the killer fly in Yellowstone country for a time. (before my time).
Old 04-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome looking pattern, congrats!

Larry

Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
It's an #8. I screwed up the last of the hackle collar and should have tightened up the hackle wrap. I'll do better next one.

Fun to tie ! Believe it or not it was the killer fly in Yellowstone country for a time. (before my time).
It looks like one more wrap of hackle there and you'd never know it. We are our own worst critic aren't we? ;]
Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
It looks like one more wrap of hackle there and you'd never know it. We are our own worst critic aren't we? ;]
Satisfaction is like an exhaled breath. I like the fact that there is more hill to climb or this fly fishing would bore me to death. Keeps me going.
lv2nymph likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 PM

Agreed, we'll never know it all. The moment a man ( or woman ) thinks they do, they stop learning.
calftail likes this.