The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lv2nymph
  • 3 Post By bear 007

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all
Default 20 & smaller

I've started tying tricos recently and wanted to get some opinions on these ties. I'd love to see some pics of your favorite dries in this size range, also if there are ties that make the ones I have here old hat please post if you would. Thanks, Jack

Click the image to open in full size.

tails are micro fibets
thread body
thorax is beaver
wings are antron
I appreciate your input
calftail likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 20 & smaller

Very well done !

My favorite dry fly fishing activity. Here's a bunch I tied. They're #24's. I found the secret is a slack line cast and a sharp hook.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

Hey thanks calf, I like those you've got there. I clicked on the pic to enlarge but it stayed the same size. What did you tie it with. I've got four 24's tied so far. Thanks for the info as well.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Nice job, I like to do them on short shanked wide gap hooks, Daiichi 1140 #20, you can tie a 22 or 24 with a #20 hook gap. I have real good luck with these snowshoe rabbit tricos.

shotgunfly, calftail and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
Hey thanks calf, I like those you've got there. I clicked on the pic to enlarge but it stayed the same size. What did you tie it with. I've got four 24's tied so far. Thanks for the info as well.

I don't know that the way I tie my flies or the materials is any better than the next trike tie, they work for me.

I use dark dun hackle for the tails, black polypro (Fly-Rite)for the body and white polypro for the wing. I use the standard Mustad 94840 for a hook. It's a down eye, I know, but that has never made a diff to me.

I know the spinners get smaller as the season goes on and I'll go to #28's....when they go up to the fly and quickly dart away at that size I know it's time for a rest. Smaller flies than that are for magicians.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 PM

28's ? haha Haven't made it past 24's yet, I'm going to need to tie more 24's before I go to a 26. I don't even have any 28's. I believe I agree with your cut off size.
Bear, are those hooks offset? Or is it the angle they're at? Good looking ties thanks for posting them.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
Bear, are those hooks offset? Or is it the angle they're at? Good looking ties thanks for posting them.
They have a continuous bend, with a slight offset.