The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Czech style nymph

Good stuff! Thanks for the post!

I don't mind the beads or adding lead, but I do hate split shot.

I saw the thread in the J Stockard catalog, but had no idea about what I would use it for. Now I have a better idea!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

I like the back material quite a lot. makes it look more natural.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Some really Smik looking Flies & like Larry I also didn't know The Thread existed.
Thanks for The Tip.
Like many others I still use Split Shot even though I don't really like it.
Brian.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:39 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on these flies. When I first saw the tungsten thread I couldn't get it fast enough, I knew it was what I was looking for. I hope you all try it and see the benefits for yourself first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
Nice flies. Great material for Czeck nymphs. I am going to give it a try.
That's what I thought as soon as I saw it, I'm always on the lookout for a good material for backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
I also had no idea this existed!
Hmmmmm . . . opens up a whole bunch of ideas for other applications. Lots of weight in a very thin profile. Gotta think about this.
Thanks!
You should see what it does for your pt's & he's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Good stuff! Thanks for the post!

I don't mind the beads or adding lead, but I do hate split shot.

I saw the thread in the J Stockard catalog, but had no idea about what I would use it for. Now I have a better idea!
I don't mind beads either, in fact I have bead heads that are very effective. I think some patterns look wrong with them. At this point for me lead has it's purposes just not on the flies I need to be heavy.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Something I forgot to mention, when you're wrapping it on you must make tight butting turns to get this much weight in this small an area. After some experimentation I found this to be true, also it'll lay much more even for you. Which makes smoothing out the underbody much easier, with dubbing it doesn't matter but if you're are planning on weaving over it or wrapping quills for the body it does. What you want to do is wrap toward the bend and back to the eye four times, then one more time back and to the front staying more in the middle of the wraps. Leave yourself room at the eye so you can finish the fly at the eye and get that nice smooth transition to the head, at the back stop far enough from the bend so you can go into the bend to cover the thread but not go too far down around and into the heal of the bend, I think this area must stay clear of materials otherwise the hook gets bumped out of the fishes jaw, or you never really get a good solid hook set. Jmho