The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all
Default Czech style nymph

I bought some tungsten thread to try out this past fall,here is a fly I've tried it on. You can really whack on the weight in a small area with this stuff. Great for those of you who want a lot of weight without a bead.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Daiichi 1120 #6
Body: Sybai flash nymph dubbing rusty orange
Thorax: Slf spikey squirrel dubbing dark brown
Rib: Ultra wire brown
Back: Siman magic shrimp foil
Weight: Tungsten thread that weighs between a 1/8-5/32 tungsten bead ( closer to 5/32

Here is what that amount of weight looks like on the bare hook

I put it on a bobbin to wrap it on. I used the "fine" size on this size hook, the other is x fine and it's the size of a hair actually much smaller which would make it ideal for much smaller hooks. One thing I found like thread it builds twist as you wind, so about every two dozen or so wraps I'd let it hang and unwind. I like this a lot and I'm going to incorporate this into a lot of nymphs.

This nymph worked so well through the fall/winter that I got some other colors and tied them. What I've found is as the season progresses different colors become effective when they were not earlier. The smaller one in the box are size 12 and are weighted to a 7/64 tungsten bead.

These patterns will get you to the bottom and keep you in the zone. If you've been looking for an alternative way to get weight in your patterns ( patterns you don't like the looks of a bead on )I think the tungsten thread could work well for you, it absolutely has for me.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech style nymph

Nice work on the Czech nymphs and thanks for the tip on the tungsten thread, I didn't even realize it existed. I might give that a try.

Larry

Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

That is one neat fly box ....your flies look like an Honor Guard on march they are so consistent. And , even IF I could tie that good, with my big dumb fingers I'd never get them all lined up so neat in a box. This might not be impressive to some but it impresses the h8ll right out of me !
mcnerney and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Jack,

Those are GREAT looking flies you've whipped up, fish catchers for sure. I bought some of the same wire and have been meaning to incorporate it into some of my patterns. My intent for it was those slim bodied, weighted flies with a more natural profile--just as you've demonstrated here.

Good stuff, thanks for the reminder. By the time I sit down and start tying again, I'll probably forget about it again.

Thanks for sharing.
mcnerney and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Nice neat looking flies. I really like the fact you kept all the **** out of the hook eye.

Show us more of your ties !
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Tungsten thread. Sounds expensive. How much?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 PM

lv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to alllv2nymph is a name known to all

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Fly_guy I skip a spot when I load them for ease of putting them in and getting them out.
It's $4.95 for a spool of 25 yds. I usually fish three nymphs at once, heavy, med & light depending on conditions the rig can change to accommodate the water at hand. Regardless of the fact it's more expensive than lead, I'm getting the flies where I need them more often than not now without the use of split shot which is where I'm looking to go nowadays.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

I also had no idea this existed!
Hmmmmm . . . opens up a whole bunch of ideas for other applications. Lots of weight in a very thin profile. Gotta think about this.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

Nice flies. Great material for Czeck nymphs. I am going to give it a try.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Those are some awesome looking flies, very nice

Ryan