The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice
Default Halfbacks

This is my version of this fly, there are so many variations you can do with this.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Daiichi 1130 #10
Underbody: tungsten thread weighted to an 1/8" tungsten bead/ smooth body with tying thread
Abdomen: Uni yarn- olive/chartreuse ( woven ) ( I also use DMC floss )
Thorax: Flash nymph dubbing- yellow ( honestly it's olive )
Thorax back: Thin skin- fly specks olive/black
Rib: copper wire

Some color variations

Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Halfbacks

I really like the looks of those! Awesome tying!
lv2nymph likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Wow! These are some REALLY buggy lookin buggies! Nice!
lv2nymph likes this.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome work, congrats!

Larry

Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Thanks everyone, I've found that I really enjoyed getting through the challenges of weaving and getting it right. Well, as close to that as I am at this point.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I saw a video and learned now to make legs and feet with the stub end off peacock herl that looks damn near like the real thing. Totally adjustable before you cinch them down.
clip the stub end off of two,,turn that little white 'foot' the direction you want them to point,,loop two times...let your bobbin hang and hold them to the under-body,,adjust for length,,cinch down and wawwlaaa...perfect feet. You do need to build a little ' thread dam' in front like with a dry fly feather probably. The neat thing is you can run some dubbing in and around and hide the thread and improve the under-body around the feet.

They would look absolutely killer on your work there.
kglissmeyer1 and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A good looking bunch of nymphs Jack, real neat ribs and tapers!

Ard
lv2nymph likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Fly_guy you're right that would look tasty, I believe I know what you're talking about. Oliver Edwards ties a hydropsyche nymph like that. Looks really cool, thanks for the heads up. Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Nice looking flies. Love the weave. And, with the tungsten and slim profile, they should sink fast into the fish zone.

Wondering about the name though. I had always thought of the Halfback as something like Click the image to open in full size.

But I like yours better. :-)
jaybo41 and lv2nymph like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Thank you very much John, You're the second person to point this out. I was looking up different weaves and this pattern was one of the results, as far as I knew that was the only fly called a halfback. That pattern combines two known fish taking materials should be great, have you ever tied & tried?
Jack