Crayfish Patterns?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The other day while fishing with the Project Healing Waters crew, Curt spotted this bad boy on the bank:

Anyone have any good Crayfish patterns they have had success with that you want to share?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Anyone have any good Crayfish patterns they have had success with that you want to share?
One thing that I've learned about fishing crayfish patterns is that fish would rather avoid those with big prominent claws
If you've ever had one latch onto you, you know why ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll go along with Paul in his choice of pattern. I've seen trout eat them, crayfish that is, and I've spent hours at the vise creating things that looked alive. The results using those very realistic patterns left much to be desired. When in doubt use a good big Sculpin pattern, if a fish is of the temperament to eat a crayfish it'll probably grab a sculpy.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: You make an excellent point, I really like the looks of that bugger!
Ard: I guess I'm all set as I have some Sculzillas all ready to go.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I agree with Rip too. I've watched bass chasing crayfish & they're cautious about those claws. Sometimes to the point of giving up rather than get pinched. A big LM bass can certainly eat a big crayfish, but I believe when they have choices, they'll go after those that are easier to deal with.

I go with patterns that are non-descript when I know there are a good number of crayfish where I'm fishing. I used to tie patterns that looked like the crays, with segmented bodies & claws, but didn't really catch any more fish on them & they were time consuming to tie. I don't think there's anything wrong with that type of fly, but they're simply not necessary if you wish to imitate crayfish.

I like this type of Clouser style pattern for scooting along the bottom.

I had recently posted this fly & some others that I had tied for Redfish & bass.
I would use this type fly too as a crayfish imitation. I used this particular fly last week looking for bass, and in the water it looked very much like a crayfish. Notice, it only has the single rabbit strip tail. Bass can't count. Trying to add 2 claws to a crayfish pattern is fine, but I've yet to find it makes any difference.

Otherwise, I'll tie up patterns such as a Squimp, a saltwater pattern, in appropriate colors for a crayfish & use them. Many of the "Bonefish, Flats, or Redfish" style patterns that generally are intended to imitate shrimp, also make great crayfish imitations.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but once had a day on a small trout stream where I caught a brown, rainbow, SM bass & LM bass all on the same Stonefly nymph pattern. There were a lot of crickets in the grass & weeds along the banks, and there was a lot of small crayfish in the stream, that appeared to range in size from about a nickel to 3". I have no idea what those fish thought that fly was, but it didn't really matter.

This is the fly I used that day tied on a size 6 hook.

Frankly, I would rather try a fly that might imitate a crayfish or could be mistaken for other prey that the fish will eat than attempt to stick to a pattern that might only imitate a cray. (Not that it's likely it will anyway.)

I would bet that the Sculpin patterns that Ard has posted recently would work as well as anything. ;)

dc410

Reaction score
Here is a crayfish pattern that I just recently posted in the "What have you been tying today" thread in the General Fly Tying Forum. I followed up with the recipe for the pattern.

lycokayaker

Reaction score
I just had the Fishskulls Crawbody come in the mail yesterday and look pretty cool. I had a spending moments and ordered a ton of tying materials and ordered these bodies up after reading your thread. Check out the link. They look pretty amazing!

CrawBody

jjc155

Reaction score
My crayfish patterns consist of 1) Schultzy's Single Fly Cray and 2) Schultzy's Low water cray. Couple different sizes and colors.

Stripped on a rio intermediate outbound short around wood/rocks and hold on, the big smallies cant resist.

I post some pics when I get home from work.

J-

cab

Reaction score
John Barr's creation; Meatwhistle is supposed to imitate a crawdaddy. Doesn't look like one to me, but I won't argue with the fish. Or Mr. Barr.

I've had a lot of success dead drifting these along the bottom.

Fly Patterns

HTH,
CAB

jjparson

Reaction score
I think I know where you found that big one Larry. I have had good luck over there with Pat Cohen's Jiggy Craw. It may be overkill and is fairly expensive to tie, but the eats have been pretty aggressive. He sells them on his site, but it is a pretty fun project to tie up as well. They have a rattle in them which I had never used before. Pretty innovative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHhA4NRLQI

jgentile

Reaction score
The other day while fishing with the Project Healing Waters crew, Curt spotted this bad boy on the bank:
Click the image to open in full size.
Larry, that is a small lobster.

Our Ozark waters are full of crayfish. This is what I am tying up these days. I am hoping that the jig hook and dumb bell eyes makes this sit like a real craw in the water. Impressionistic with hopefully the right profile.

[/URL][/IMG]

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Spot Remover #2.​

These things have been around forever and are simple & cheap to tie. From tier to tier the pattern will reflect subtle changes, but they all work. Due to the dominant crayfish species we have, the color pattern is rusty brown on top with pale orange below with barred orange sili legs. These are all #2 the only size I fish.

We use them mostly for Spotted Bass ( Spot Remover ), Smallmouth, Largemouth and Browns. Stuck a pretty nice Mackinaw off of some deep ledge rock along a river arm of a reservoir a few years ago. It was a incidental catch, not the target species we were after.

Dave

littledavid123

Reaction score
Forget the trout, get some string and a piece of bacon and focus on something really good to eat. :) Knocked off 3lbs by myself just a few days ago, full of yellow fat and delicious. :icon_eek:

Dave