The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By mcnerney
  • 4 Post By Rip Tide
  • 4 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589
  • 2 Post By dc410
  • 1 Post By lycokayaker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crayfish Patterns?

The other day while fishing with the Project Healing Waters crew, Curt spotted this bad boy on the bank:
Click the image to open in full size.

Anyone have any good Crayfish patterns they have had success with that you want to share?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crayfish Patterns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Anyone have any good Crayfish patterns they have had success with that you want to share?
One thing that I've learned about fishing crayfish patterns is that fish would rather avoid those with big prominent claws
If you've ever had one latch onto you, you know why

Old 09-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll go along with Paul in his choice of pattern. I've seen trout eat them, crayfish that is, and I've spent hours at the vise creating things that looked alive. The results using those very realistic patterns left much to be desired. When in doubt use a good big Sculpin pattern, if a fish is of the temperament to eat a crayfish it'll probably grab a sculpy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Paul: You make an excellent point, I really like the looks of that bugger!
Ard: I guess I'm all set as I have some Sculzillas all ready to go.
bigjim5589 likes this.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:33 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I agree with Rip too. I've watched bass chasing crayfish & they're cautious about those claws. Sometimes to the point of giving up rather than get pinched. A big LM bass can certainly eat a big crayfish, but I believe when they have choices, they'll go after those that are easier to deal with.

I go with patterns that are non-descript when I know there are a good number of crayfish where I'm fishing. I used to tie patterns that looked like the crays, with segmented bodies & claws, but didn't really catch any more fish on them & they were time consuming to tie. I don't think there's anything wrong with that type of fly, but they're simply not necessary if you wish to imitate crayfish.

I like this type of Clouser style pattern for scooting along the bottom.

I had recently posted this fly & some others that I had tied for Redfish & bass.
I would use this type fly too as a crayfish imitation. I used this particular fly last week looking for bass, and in the water it looked very much like a crayfish. Notice, it only has the single rabbit strip tail. Bass can't count. Trying to add 2 claws to a crayfish pattern is fine, but I've yet to find it makes any difference.

Otherwise, I'll tie up patterns such as a Squimp, a saltwater pattern, in appropriate colors for a crayfish & use them. Many of the "Bonefish, Flats, or Redfish" style patterns that generally are intended to imitate shrimp, also make great crayfish imitations.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but once had a day on a small trout stream where I caught a brown, rainbow, SM bass & LM bass all on the same Stonefly nymph pattern. There were a lot of crickets in the grass & weeds along the banks, and there was a lot of small crayfish in the stream, that appeared to range in size from about a nickel to 3". I have no idea what those fish thought that fly was, but it didn't really matter.

This is the fly I used that day tied on a size 6 hook.

Frankly, I would rather try a fly that might imitate a crayfish or could be mistaken for other prey that the fish will eat than attempt to stick to a pattern that might only imitate a cray. (Not that it's likely it will anyway.)

I would bet that the Sculpin patterns that Ard has posted recently would work as well as anything.
mcnerney and ia_trouter like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 PM

dc410 will become famous soon enoughdc410 will become famous soon enough

Here is a crayfish pattern that I just recently posted in the "What have you been tying today" thread in the General Fly Tying Forum. I followed up with the recipe for the pattern.

bigjim5589 and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road

I just had the Fishskulls Crawbody come in the mail yesterday and look pretty cool. I had a spending moments and ordered a ton of tying materials and ordered these bodies up after reading your thread. Check out the link. They look pretty amazing!

CrawBody
mcnerney likes this.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:06 AM

jjc155 is on a distinguished road

My crayfish patterns consist of 1) Schultzy's Single Fly Cray and 2) Schultzy's Low water cray. Couple different sizes and colors.

Stripped on a rio intermediate outbound short around wood/rocks and hold on, the big smallies cant resist.

I post some pics when I get home from work.

J-
Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

John Barr's creation; Meatwhistle is supposed to imitate a crawdaddy. Doesn't look like one to me, but I won't argue with the fish. Or Mr. Barr.

I've had a lot of success dead drifting these along the bottom.

Fly Patterns

HTH,
CAB