The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 PM

ericb is on a distinguished road
Default My 1st Griffith's Gnat

I lucked into a free source for Grizzly. My Sunday school teacher breeds them. Here's my first effort at tying a Griffith's gnat. The cape hackle fibers are definitely longer than the pattern I purchased at the local fly shop. Did I inadvertently invent a new pattern? Will this thing catch trout?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 PM

tail of the pool has a spectacular aura abouttail of the pool has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool
Default Re: My 1st Griffith's Gnat

Fish it as a soft Hackle

There are lots of internet help on material selection, great resource for new tyers
ericb likes this.
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 AM

fly_rover is on a distinguished road

Here's a general rule of thumb, though it's specific to dry flies.

Fly tying course # 9 Techniques for traditional dry’s | thefeatherbender.

(I didnt want to make a photobucket account to post a picture).
ericb likes this.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 AM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

No you did not invent a new pattern but you did use shackle that was way too long

Pick a shackle that is 1 to 1 1/2 the hook gap

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm
mcnerney and ericb like this.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 AM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

If that is the smallest feather you have, you may have lucked into some free wooly bugger hackle. Nothing wrong with that either.
mcnerney and ericb like this.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:08 PM

ericb is on a distinguished road

Please keep the comments and tips coming. I am absolutely new to fly fishing and tying and have a strong desire to learn from the more seasoned in the craft. I have never had a class and am reading books and watching YouTube videos. I would love to take a class, but nothing is in the offering near enough to make it happen. I could go to Bass Pro in Dallas (3 hours) or Shreveport (2.5 hours) and may make that trip one day.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't see the photo in the link that flytire posted, I get to an error page, so I looked it up on Charlie's Fly box........note the length of the hackle in the photo.
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/upl...egs%200491.jpg

Charlie Craven has 189 fly patterns listed on his fly box with detailed instructions to tie each one.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

I also highly recommend getting a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book. He details the different hooks, thread types, dubbing types, hackle types, hair selection and offers numerous tying tips and details the tying techniques of some of the most common patterns.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Books
jpbfly, darwin, stenacron and 1 others like this.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM

jcw355 is a glorious beacon of lightjcw355 is a glorious beacon of lightjcw355 is a glorious beacon of lightjcw355 is a glorious beacon of lightjcw355 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tail of the pool View Post
Fish it as a soft Hackle

There are lots of internet help on material selection, great resource for new tyers
Plus sink it and strip it like a crackleback.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I struggled with this at one point and invested in a Hackle Gauge. Slip it on the stem of your vise, measure it and it'll keep you in the ballpark.

Griffin Enterprises Hook Hackle Gauge | J. Stockard Fly Fishing

If they're too big for the really small stuff, get some 100 packs to use for the Gnats and save those big feathers for streamers or larger flies.
mcnerney and comeonavs like this.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM

flytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud offlytire has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

i like to bend the hackle under the hook shank like the photo above

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/