The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Banned

mcflylures has a spectacular aura aboutmcflylures has a spectacular aura aboutmcflylures has a spectacular aura about
Default Simple Black Ant - Its terrestrial season!

In the late spring and early summer, terrestrial fishing can be phenomenal. The wind will blow ants, grasshoppers and beetles into the water, and the fish start looking for these tasty snacks. Ants make up one of the most common terrestrials found in the trouts diet. So fishing one of these simple ant patterns at the right time, can yield amazing results.

Hook: Umpqua U001 size 22. Any dry fly hook will do, sizes 16-26
Dubbing: Super Dry Dubbing
Hackle: Top of a black neck cape where the small and fine feathers are.

The past week I have been working on making my own website for tying flies. So I uploaded this video there. Check out the video on my site, and also check out my new site. Keep in mind I'm not fully done with the site. I don't have all my video's up yet, still working on them. Let me know what you think about the video, and my site. Thanks!
itchmesir and scotty macfly like this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 06-15-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:34 PM

scotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud ofscotty macfly has much to be proud of
Default Re: Simple Black Ant - Its terrestrial season!

Well, I checked it out, and you did a great job making that video. That ant should catch fish easily. I also subscribed to it.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

mcflylures has a spectacular aura aboutmcflylures has a spectacular aura aboutmcflylures has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
Well, I checked it out, and you did a great job making that video. That ant should catch fish easily. I also subscribed to it.

Hey thanks! I appreciate the subscription and the kind words. Did you like the website? Was it easy to use and navigate?

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Ok so here is the direct link to the youtube video. Apparently because I put it on my own website, I could not post it. HAHA

mcnerney and itchmesir like this.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 PM

dc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the roughdc410 is a jewel in the rough

Nice job on the simple black ant video. I caught my first trout on a fly on that exact pattern over 36 years ago. I also enjoyed the banjo music. Good stuff!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:46 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

That is exactly how I tie my ants. It's my afternoon pattern in the mid-late summer heat here. Probably my most effective terrestrial pattern the past few years. I have tried UV ants too but this one seems best.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
That is exactly how I tie my ants. It's my afternoon pattern in the mid-late summer heat here. Probably my most effective terrestrial pattern the past few years. I have tried UV ants too but this one seems best.

Thanks! . Yeah they are a great pattern! I like the parachute ant also, as the ant body generally sits a little lower in the water, and the parachute is easy to see. However it takes a while longer to tie, and I don't think it's all that much more effective.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 AM

moucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to behold

Ray Bergman made his ant bodies out of black tying thread, adding multiple coats of head cement as he was building up the humps. They sink well, and make a great drowned imitation if dead drifted wet.

You can also make great floating ant bodies by putting drops of Gorilla Glue directly on the hook. When they dry, color them with a permanent marker and give them a protective coat of head cement or Sally Hansen's. I like to tie in rubber legs and white Antron wings in addition to the sparse black hackle for an easy-to-see flying ant imitation.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 AM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflylures View Post
Thanks! . Yeah they are a great pattern! I like the parachute ant also, as the ant body generally sits a little lower in the water, and the parachute is easy to see. However it takes a while longer to tie, and I don't think it's all that much more effective.
Anything that gives the appearance of a flying ant has outperformed for me. Feather wings, parachute or the hackle spin like your fly. The real ants are not winged but the trout know what they wish was there. The hackle spin on your fly could be perceived as legs of course but who knows?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:30 AM

hokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to beholdhokiehunter07 is a splendid one to behold

I know it's probably not a big deal, but have you guys tried ants with grizzly or brown hackle? I don't have a black neck so I tied some up before with grizzly. I just don't seem to get near the action others talk about with ants. Last time out I threw an ant to small stream brookies for an hour with maybe 4 or 5 hookups. Changed to an orange EHC and seem to catch them every other cast. There were ants all over the bank and climbing across deadfalls as well.

I wouldn't think black vs brown / gizz would make that much difference.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
I know it's probably not a big deal, but have you guys tried ants with grizzly or brown hackle? I don't have a black neck so I tied some up before with grizzly. I just don't seem to get near the action others talk about with ants. Last time out I threw an ant to small stream brookies for an hour with maybe 4 or 5 hookups. Changed to an orange EHC and seem to catch them every other cast. There were ants all over the bank and climbing across deadfalls as well.

I wouldn't think black vs brown / gizz would make that much difference.
Yes to brown, and I believe I even tried a light gray to try to simulate a wing color. I do know the brown worked just fine. I think the segmented dark body is probably the main attraction.