The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Sneeky Pete Popper II

Second Sneeky Pete Popper, easy to make
Attached are pics of type I (first pic) and type II (second pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I.JPG (13.3 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg II.JPG (9.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Sneeky Pete Popper II

Hi MrEsox,

Nice looking flies. I have a question about the one in the top picture. When the Popper body is turned the way it is on this fly, it normally would be a diver or a slider instead of a Popper. Does this fly really pop and throw water forward? The second picture shows what I usually call a popper. I can't see if there are any cuts in the nose that would cause it to pop.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

White Popper
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

MrEsox... what is that skirt made of on the second fly? That looks like a real getter and it looks durable as all get-out.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

To answer the first question:
This is a new fly to me and I have not had a chance to get out and use it yet. We are still iced-up up here in ND. However I do a lot of bass, pike, and musky fishing. All love to hit top water baits. It is true that having a concave face adds a pop sound, but like some frog type topwaters for bass, a subtle splash/dive one days when the bass are not willing to hit a poper, often will come to get a floating minnow bait twiched making a small splash. This I think would be even better if some how I could get a small prop on it...kinda like a prop bait. The main point is not to give off a pop but more of a splash. With the name, that is what it is called. I found a pic of it here on this site some place (I think it was here) and then found it again on another site after doing a google search for sneeky pete poper. It's not really a dry fly and it isnt really a true poper ether. There are no slits in the nose, so for the fist one it should just be a nice small splash. If you have ever seen the differance between a poper, chugger, prop bait, and minnow/pull bait you'd kinda have an idea of what this is suppost to do. Now the second type has rubber legs going through it, this will add a bit of extra movement and water displacement when moved. This is how the original that I seen has. I will post the fly that I got the idea from to give you a better look at where I got the idea from.

Second question:
I used yellow and hot pink deer hair. Spun as tight as I could get it. I do think it turned out very well just for the simple fact I have a hard time with deer hair. Thing about the hair I used on this one is how stiff it is. I just got some more deer hair and it seams to be a bit softer, this stuff is much stiffer (it could just be me too)
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Sneaky Pete - Fly Tying Patterns - Quest Outdoors, Ltd.

that is the site on how to tie this fly. I see too that I've been spelling it Sneeky not Sneaky. Also I guess its not a true popper, but since it is a reverse popper head, I have been calling it that...needless to say it is a topwater that should get a few fish to come and eat it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sneaky14.jpg (16.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MrEsox,

Thanks for the information. That one with the legs looks really good. I have the same problem as you. There are no trout in Florida. Well that is not quite true. We have spotted sea trout all along the coast.

Frank
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

The sliders are all killer predator flies......bass,pike, musky..... love 'em

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 AM

Ya sometimes I;m all thumbs when trying to discribe something...since its nothing but a turned popper head I just called it as such. Oh well. Ya we dont have much for trout up here. Easier to take a down rigger and a big flasher for most of these trout. There are cuts, browns, and rainbows along with coho, chinook, and lakers here in the Missouri river. Prob is good luck finding them. A few years ago a massive brown of 30+ lbs was taken buy a guy who was fishing for eyes. There are some nice cutts also here but first off dont have a clue where they catch them and I got to travel over 100+miles just to get to the big river. All other rivers up here are too shallow and too warm. There are a few lake run rainbows but that dont make for a fun day with a fly rod. Heck we dont have much for pan fish that at any given day would be readily available on a fly. I dont know anyone who would fish for slab crappy in 20ft of water with a flyrod. So next would be bass and pike. Got lots of them, and some big ones. On a better note I finally got to head out and fish some open water. The lakes are still frozen but with the warm we had today should have helped. Took the old 5wt with and did get some really good action. Casting a small minnow type, not one I made, had several times where it was one on each cast. Thing is had 6 perch that I'd have kept and prob 2 crappy that could have come home for the cat. With the 20+ fish I landed, I dont think I hit 2lbs of weight if you put them all together. Still fun though.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 AM

OH and hey Frank, you may not have any freshwater trout donw there in FL, but you are not frozen from November till March-April each year (ND). I know if I was down there, I'd have wore out my new 9wt a few days after I got it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Hi MrEsox,

You are right. It is hard to beat year around fishing.

Frank