The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default Size 28 Parachute Midge

Was playing around with the vise this afternoon and came up with these! Sorry I couldn't take a closer pic, but I did put them next to a dime. They're tied on a Tiemco TMC100 size 28 with black synthetic dubbing, 2 microfibets as a tail (about 3/4 hook length), teeny tiny grizzly hackle and white antron for a post. I thought it was insane to try these, but now I'm rearin' to try some 30s and 32s

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28 para midge.JPG (46.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 04-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Size 28 Parachute Midge

Nice, but why so big LOL

Click the image to open in full size.

Size 32's
Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Show offs!

Now lets see ya tie 'em on in under a minute!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Show offs!

Now lets see ya tie 'em on in under a minute!
Aw C'Mon Cliff!

Give these 50 year OLD eyes a break! I've done about a dozen this evening with tan and light olive butts and it's taking a little less than 5 minutes each, but I'm being kinda anal since they're not for me. We're going to the San Juan this weekend and I'm giving these, along with a few dozen Para Adams and BWOs, to our guide as part of our tip. Flows are gonna stay down to about 2200, temps low 30s at night and about 70 during the day, New Mexico sunny, of course. Half day float/half day wade with Jude on Saturday, and roll our own on Sunday. Everyone's saying the fish have gotten a good rest from the fishing pressure because of the high flows and are strong as hell now. We might even hit the Chaco Canyon ruins on the way back to Albuquerque. As Ron White would say "it's gonna be a good weekend, Tater". I'll be sure to post a report when we get back!

Joni - those are some good lookin bugs! I've only been tying about a year and am still getting over my fear of small flies. What kind of thread do you use? I just picked up some UTC 70 and like the way it really flattens out.

Phil
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is the thread of choice here. Strong as heck!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I'm not even going to try something that big. What you use them for, mighty minnows? If you get a fish on them, what do you use a harpoon to land them? Get the net, no the snair, no the gaff, no the harpoon, ya the harpoon. With all kidding aside, I will say good job since size 8 is the smallest I have tryed to tie and lost several moments of my life I will never get back. Since trout are something that are hard to find up here, I tie mostly for perch, gills, crappie, and eyes (when I tie small that is). Most of my fly tieing is on a 1/0 or bigger hook. I find that the larger hook is easier to tie on and that even a size 6 hook can be trouble. A steady hand and the right sized thread makes all the differance. Good job. Thats something I would have a hard time doing if able at all.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Size 28 royal coachman...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8005.JPG (10.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8002.JPG (5.9 KB, 97 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM

flyweaver is on a distinguished road

Show off! See if I give you any more tying lessons. LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

Man I could tie that on the tippet much less tye the fly that small