The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 01:49 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default bling bling minnow!

I was bored and tied up this krystal flash minnow clouser style. and a olive and pearl mylar zonker. the clouser i made is pearl and chartruese flash tied thunder creek style with a pearl sparkle chenile under body and silver bead eyes.. if it catches tommorrow i will call it the Bling Bling minnow. its basically flash substituted for bucktail. looks awesome to me and I am thinking it will be kind of a attractor minnow. since the steel and bass are in the faster flows right now. had great luck on the lake eries shiner I made out of bucktail and flash so I figured i'd make a clouser on steroids. one that catches the eye with shine and sparkle!. keep ya posted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30588.JPG (79.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30589.JPG (80.6 KB, 53 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: bling bling minnow!

Good looking fly. When I first saw it, I immediately thought "crappie!"
In the right size, I bet you could get a few slabs with it.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That's a really good looking fly and not one I've not really seen before at all. My only advice on it would be to trim the Krystal Flash so that the overall profile is more tapered. This could even include adding a KF tail to add to the tapered baitfish profile. Using a darker flash on the hook point side of the fly could also add to the baitfish look of it. (I'm thinking black, blue, or olive shades of KF)

Overall, its one of the only unique flies I've seen in years that made me say: "OOH......DAMN......Yeah, that WILL work......and easy too. I'm tying some."

Another thought, try it with black bead-chain eyes, and coat the head in epoxy or hot glue so those very forward eyes aren't constantly catching grass and such.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

George the only thing you need to do is get it wet and give us a report. looks good maybe a maribou tail would add action? the fun part is testing them out and letting the fish decide if any changes are needed.
Jim
Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

the bling bling minnow works! caught my biggest steelies ever with it! but minus part of the bling haha. it was just too flashy! took off the bottom flash with my nippers for a lil on stream quick thinking! all of a sudden it was a killer and caught 2 steel on 2 casts!! then it was missing some of the body haha! will make more the way I made it on the stream so you guys can get a idea of what it looks likes! heres the steel! you can kinda see the minnow in his mouth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30596.JPG (79.3 KB, 32 views)

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Oh George just when I was thinking you had some mad tying skills, you go and do something as easy as this. J/K Nice looking fly and very nice looking steelie. It just goes to prove that something simple will prove to be the best.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM

heres what the minnow looks like after you clip it. leave just a lil chartreuse flash under the chin. it worked for me! should ride hook point down cause of the straight eye hook? figured that out after tying clouser with um and all rode hood down. not what I wanted!!! if you wanna make it hook point up invert the colors and see it ya can get it to work. I will test this pattern out again tomorrow! let ya know! tied 4 and hope to get 4 steeles at least unless they hold up so i can get more! very visual fly and you can just about put it in there face and make um mad to bite it! try it out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00aSNV30612.jpg (81.3 KB, 24 views)

Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM

also tied one with a white marabou tail to try. will let ya know tomorrow! I have no mad tying skills! trust me... when I tie some deer hair bug or something then I got skills lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30607.JPG (80.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30606.JPG (81.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Hm, me likes the first one better, more eye candy. If one thing smallies like its a visual delight. I think if it is alright with you, I'm going to make my own but with dubbing in some crystal dubbing insted. dont have the nice white body fiber like you do but I do have plenty of dubbing
Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM

go for it! no takers today on the minnow. but I caught a nice smallie on the lake erie shiner clouser. its white and olive bucktail and flash.